Finding a recovery disc for my acer aspire 5520.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CANDYKISSES_34

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
Hello,
i have an acer aspire 5520-5912. when i purchased my comp a few yrs. ago, i didnt get a recovery disc with it. me not being too computer smart, i didnt know that it was a good idea to make a recovery disc of my own from the beginning. im really in a tight spot with money at the moment, and was wondering where i might be able to get a recovery disc for a decent price or if you know of a place that i can get one free. id be more than willing to pay for the shipping . the reason i think i need to just redue my comp is that i cant get certain programs to download or even work now. i use to have them but they just stopped working. i figure i probably have a virus or something, but not sure. would rather clear the whole thing out and start fresh, lol. i ty for listening to me.
karen.

Jonmor68

Distinguished

CANDYKISSES_34

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010

i wanted to thank you for your reply to my question about finding a recovery disc, but i do have another question for you. if thats ok. i did make a set of recovery discs just a few weeks ago, but i was told by a friend that is a computer geek, and he said that i shouldnt use those discs now because if there was a virus or something like that in my comp. that the recovery discs that i just made will put the virus back in alone with everything else that may be wrong. is this true or is he maybe talking about something else? ty again for listening to me.
karen

If the virus was present when you made the discs, then it will be restored along with the rest of whatever was there when you created them. It's best to do a full restore by hitting ALT-F10 at the BIOS screen... as long as the recovery partition is there, it will boot to it and allow you to do the restore. Once you've completed the restore, be sure that you create the factory restore discs immediately... if the hard drive goes, you won't be able to do a recovery without them.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Also, if you do use your discs, best thing would be load avast on there as soon as you get it to run. After that, load malware bytes anti malware, spybot search and destroy, and super antispyware on there. Update all programs, boot to safe mode, run malware bytes and spybot, remove all infections. Boot to normal windows, update avast, then run super antispyware, update, and let it find all it can, kill anything it finds, then do a preboot scan with avast. That should kill most of what could be lurking on it. If you wanted to make sure, maybe even run adaware for good measure. Between those programs, you should be able to get most viruses/spyware off.

After doing all of this, I would use ccleaner to clean out any junk files, clean the registry out, then let it defrag your hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.