[SOLVED] Finding compatible 2x32GB 3600MHz RAM (using QVL) for GIGABYTE AORUS MASTER X570

darthdeus

Honorable
Jun 23, 2015
I've been picking parts for my new desktop for a little while and almost felt like I've completed everything, until I checked the QVL for the motherboard, and it seems I just can't find any RAM that fits my requirements - more on this later. First let me list the parts:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
  • Motherboard: GIGABYTE X570 AORUS MASTER (also thought about ASROCK X570 Taichi and ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO) - probably could just as well work with the Taichi, but the local price diff isn't that big.
  • Power Source: Corsair RM850 (850W modular)
  • GPU: GTX 1080ti (taking this from my previous desktop)
  • SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB (looked at benchmarks and the EVO Plus seems to be only ~5% better at ~20% more cost).
  • Cooling: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280
  • RAM: (this is my first pick) G.SKILL 64GB KIT DDR4 3600MHz CL18 Trident Z RGB Neo (code F4-3600C18D-64GTZN)

Now looking at the QVL list for the motherboard (https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-MASTER-rev-11-12/support#support-doc) under the AMD Matisse CPU section, I am extremely confused. The Ryzen 9 3900XT only supports dual channel RAM, which means if I want 64GB I need to buy a 2x32 kit. From watching a few videos, it seems that overclocking the default 3200MHz to 3600MHz should be easily doable, hence the goal of picking a 2x32GB 3600MHz kit. But this list only has a single RAM that satisfies this from Corsair (code CMK64GX4M2D3600C18 ver 5.49), and it's of course not available for purchase in my country.

But interestingly, after some googling around, I ran into a QVL for G.SKILL, specifically for the RAM listed above https://www.gskill.com/qvl/165/326/1582265908/F4-3600C18D-64GTZN-Qvl ... and they actually do list the AORUS MASTER X570. This makes me extremely confused.

Does it mean that the QVL from Gigabyte is only the RAMs that Gigabyte tested, and this other list from G.SKILL is the other way around, with G.SKILL testing their RAMs with various motherboards, and actually finding the AORUS MASTER X570 compatible? What confuses me even further is that none of the motherboards I've checked (that bieng the Taichi and HERO listed above) have any 2x32GB 3600MHz RAMs in their QVL. On the other hand, looking at the G.SKILL list, it doesn't have the Taichi motherboard on it, but it both has the MASTER and HERO.

Maybe I'm being too paranoid, but do I just trust G.SKILL that if it's on their list it'll work, regardless of what's on the motherboard manufacturer's QVL?

Solution
Thanks for the response, though I really don't understand why you have to be so hostile. Is it such a crazy thing to ask for a bit more confirmation before throwing $400 at a stick of ram? I'm not asking for a thesis, but to be honest I'm not sure if you even read my whole question.

A big part of why I was even asking here is that on G.SKILL's website the motherboard is listed in their QVL, but I've never seen anyone mention checking the RAM manufacturer QVL, and everyone always talks about checking the motherboard one ... let alone the huge amount of people who say to stick by the QVL. I'm not saying you're wrong, but just like other people say "check QVL" and then you say "QVL is not important anymore", it's kinda difficult to...
I've been picking parts for my new desktop for a little while and almost felt like I've completed everything, until I checked the QVL for the motherboard, and it seems I just can't find any RAM that fits my requirements - more on this later. First let me list the parts:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
  • Motherboard: GIGABYTE X570 AORUS MASTER (also thought about ASROCK X570 Taichi and ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO) - probably could just as well work with the Taichi, but the local price diff isn't that big.
  • Power Source: Corsair RM850 (850W modular)
  • GPU: GTX 1080ti (taking this from my previous desktop)
  • SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB (looked at benchmarks and the EVO Plus seems to be only ~5% better at ~20% more cost).
  • Cooling: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280
  • RAM: (this is my first pick) G.SKILL 64GB KIT DDR4 3600MHz CL18 Trident Z RGB Neo (code F4-3600C18D-64GTZN)
Now looking at the QVL list for the motherboard (https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-MASTER-rev-11-12/support#support-doc) under the AMD Matisse CPU section, I am extremely confused. The Ryzen 9 3900XT only supports dual channel RAM, which means if I want 64GB I need to buy a 2x32 kit. From watching a few videos, it seems that overclocking the default 3200MHz to 3600MHz should be easily doable, hence the goal of picking a 2x32GB 3600MHz kit. But this list only has a single RAM that satisfies this from Corsair (code CMK64GX4M2D3600C18 ver 5.49), and it's of course not available for purchase in my country.

But interestingly, after some googling around, I ran into a QVL for G.SKILL, specifically for the RAM listed above https://www.gskill.com/qvl/165/326/1582265908/F4-3600C18D-64GTZN-Qvl ... and they actually do list the AORUS MASTER X570. This makes me extremely confused.

Does it mean that the QVL from Gigabyte is only the RAMs that Gigabyte tested, and this other list from G.SKILL is the other way around, with G.SKILL testing their RAMs with various motherboards, and actually finding the AORUS MASTER X570 compatible? What confuses me even further is that none of the motherboards I've checked (that bieng the Taichi and HERO listed above) have any 2x32GB 3600MHz RAMs in their QVL. On the other hand, looking at the G.SKILL list, it doesn't have the Taichi motherboard on it, but it both has the MASTER and HERO.

Maybe I'm being too paranoid, but do I just trust G.SKILL that if it's on their list it'll work, regardless of what's on the motherboard manufacturer's QVL?
The GSKILL NEO will work fine as advertised on any X570 you choose.

Could you provide some reasoning as to why it would work with any X570 board? Even G.SKILL doesn't list any of the ASROCK X570 motherboards apart from the X570 AQUA in their QVL.
You’re too caught up in QVL. Nobody tests everything. QVL was important for Ryzen gen 1, a little for gen 2. AMD has the bios figured out now so there’s not an issue. You can pretty much use any memory with gen 3. GSKILL NEO is specifically marketed for Ryzen. I’m not going to write a thesis with references on why it will work when the simple answer is that it will.

Reactions: johnsoner13

darthdeus

Honorable
Jun 23, 2015
You’re too caught up in QVL. Nobody tests everything. QVL was important for Ryzen gen 1, a little for gen 2. AMD has the bios figured out now so there’s not an issue. You can pretty much use any memory with gen 3. GSKILL NEO is specifically marketed for Ryzen. I’m not going to write a thesis with references on why it will work when the simple answer is that it will.
Thanks for the response, though I really don't understand why you have to be so hostile. Is it such a crazy thing to ask for a bit more confirmation before throwing $400 at a stick of ram? I'm not asking for a thesis, but to be honest I'm not sure if you even read my whole question.

A big part of why I was even asking here is that on G.SKILL's website the motherboard is listed in their QVL, but I've never seen anyone mention checking the RAM manufacturer QVL, and everyone always talks about checking the motherboard one ... let alone the huge amount of people who say to stick by the QVL. I'm not saying you're wrong, but just like other people say "check QVL" and then you say "QVL is not important anymore", it's kinda difficult to find where the truth is without any reference.

My biggest concern honestly is with the 2x32GB somehow being different than the lower sized models. I did see a ton of G.SKILL RAMs in combination with Ryzen, but really haven't found anything with the 32GB sticks.

A big part of why I was even asking here is that on G.SKILL's website the motherboard is listed in their QVL, but I've never seen anyone mention checking the RAM manufacturer QVL, and everyone always talks about checking the motherboard one ... let alone the huge amount of people who say to stick by the QVL. I'm not saying you're wrong, but just like other people say "check QVL" and then you say "QVL is not important anymore", it's kinda difficult to find where the truth is without any reference.

My biggest concern honestly is with the 2x32GB somehow being different than the lower sized models. I did see a ton of G.SKILL RAMs in combination with Ryzen, but really haven't found anything with the 32GB sticks.
QVL is important for new CPUs with unknown memory controllers. New technology, aka Ryzen gen 1, is an unknown and the QVL was important. As the technology improved and the software support got better it became less of an issue. I’ve built computers for 18 years and never checked a QVL for intel because it will work with any RAM. Ryzen 3rd gen is the same, it is a matured technology that will work with any RAM.

As to your question, yes GSKILL tests their RAM with motherboards just as motherboards test RAM. Neither has the time or money to test every combination. GSKILL is, IMO, the top RAM manufacturer currently and their NEO RAM is specifically made for AMD. I’m not faulting you for researching before you spend that kind of money, just saying you’ve done your due diligence and the answer is it will work PERFECTLY.

Solution