[SOLVED] Finding memory for highest MSI creator X299 speed.

Jun 29, 2020
Sorry for the dumb question. The MSI description says the X299 Creator will handle 2933 native unclocked, but 4266 OC. When I buy memory for this board, do I buy memory which is listed as 2933 with the lowest C ie C16 for example, and rely on the XMP profile to push the speed, or do I buy 4266 memory? The XMP speeds are not listed, at least for the Corsair memory. Thanks for the help.

Solution
Sorry for the dumb question. The MSI description says the X299 Creator will handle 2933 native unclocked, but 4266 OC. When I buy memory for this board, do I buy memory which is listed as 2933 with the lowest C ie C16 for example, and rely on the XMP profile to push the speed, or do I buy 4266 memory? The XMP speeds are not listed, at least for the Corsair memory. Thanks for the help.
You would buy the 4266 speed --- BUT only buy memory for that (or any) board that is on the manufacturer QVL (qualified vendor list) for that speed on that board, which means they have tested it and it actually works. And always buy your memory in single kits, which have been factory tested to work as a kit. Individual sticks may or may not work...

RealBeast

Titan
You would buy the 4266 speed --- BUT only buy memory for that (or any) board that is on the manufacturer QVL (qualified vendor list) for that speed on that board, which means they have tested it and it actually works. And always buy your memory in single kits, which have been factory tested to work as a kit. Individual sticks may or may not work together even if from the same manufacturing batch.

Solution
Jun 29, 2020
You would buy the 4266 speed --- BUT only buy memory for that (or any) board that is on the manufacturer QVL (qualified vendor list) for that speed on that board, which means they have tested it and it actually works. And always buy your memory in single kits, which have been factory tested to work as a kit. Individual sticks may or may not work together even if from the same manufacturing batch.
Thank you for the help. Is there an article anywhere that explains all this, I have searched diligently, but there is nothing that explains the relative relationship of the board controller, the chip controller, and the XMP profiles.

TRENDING THREADS