[SOLVED] Finding Motherboard with 8 Mem Slots for AMD Ryzen 9 5950X Zen 3

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

amerifax

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
>Finding Motherboard with 8 Mem Slots for AMD Ryzen 9 5950X Zen 3 <<
I'm trying to find a board that works with my G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3333 CL16 Kit F4-3333C16Q2-128GTZR and my Video Card
Asus Strix GTX980-DC20C-4GD5.

I have not been able to find this. I do video processing, and AMD is looking good.
Bob

Solution
What you have is a heap of $$ tied up in ram that's only halfway usable, and not for your intentions. The wife agrees.

The bad part being that even with all that cost, it's going to cost a whole lot more to actually get to use it for your intentions. Which I'll assume (personal experience) the wife won't be happy at all with.

So. Obvious answer that'll make everyone happy is to sell all your current ram. I'd split it up every which way, sell 2x sticks or 4x sticks, someone will be happy with 32Gb or 64Gb at a reduced price from brand new.

Use the proceeds to get 1 kit of 4x32Gb and a 5900x/5950x on an x570 mobo. Then take the wife out to dinner. It's a win-win situation.

You clear off the shelf. She's happy.
You put the cash to good...

amerifax

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
You won't find one because it doesn't exist. If you want to use 8 sticks of RAM you need to go to the Threadripper platform.
>You won't find one because it doesn't exist. If you want to use 8 sticks of RAM you need to go to the Threadripper platform. <<
There seems to be some disagreement. But then maybe you know something more than is covered in this topic.
Bob

amerifax

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Right you are. It seems memory for the 128 is now 4 slots. I guess you do know.

So I have a lot of memory on the shelf now. 8 sticks times 3 what a waste. Oh well. But thanks for clueing me in.
Bob

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What you have is a heap of $$ tied up in ram that's only halfway usable, and not for your intentions. The wife agrees.

The bad part being that even with all that cost, it's going to cost a whole lot more to actually get to use it for your intentions. Which I'll assume (personal experience) the wife won't be happy at all with.

So. Obvious answer that'll make everyone happy is to sell all your current ram. I'd split it up every which way, sell 2x sticks or 4x sticks, someone will be happy with 32Gb or 64Gb at a reduced price from brand new.

Use the proceeds to get 1 kit of 4x32Gb and a 5900x/5950x on an x570 mobo. Then take the wife out to dinner. It's a win-win situation.

You clear off the shelf. She's happy.
You put the cash to good use. She's happy.
She goes to dinner. She's happy.
You may even have cash left over. She's happy.
She's happy. You're happy.

Reactions: tennis2
Solution

TRENDING THREADS