Question Finding out the broken stick of RAM

LRMaster

Prominent
Jun 11, 2021
I have a laptop with 4GBx2 sticks making a total of 8GB of RAM. The other day, I tried playing a game. The game crashed and an error pop-up appeared saying the game cannot find resources from a memory address. Sometimes the laptop even goes back to the login screen, as if it just did a restart/start up. I tried playing CS1.6 to test the ram and it seems to do occasional screen glitches, as if the data from the RAM was corrupted.
As I want a stable laptop for the time being, can I rule out the broken stick by removing a stick and testing the laptop?

ye, you can run memtest with one stick at a time, as long its not soldered, you can remove one

but you can also run memtest with both, sometimes errors in windows happens due to software conflicts (corrupted/outdated drivers)

but in memtest you want to see 0 errors, anything higher than 0 is fail

LRMaster

Prominent
Jun 11, 2021
Welp I did some tests, and it seems like the original Crucial RAM's gone bad. It took a very long time just to log in compared to the Lenovo stick I have.
The RAM in my laptop only runs on 2133MHZ, the bare minimum. Is it fine if I get an 8GB stick to increase the RAM to 12GB? I assume the speed wont change, as I assume the RAM is locked in 2133MHZ in single channel mode and dual channel mode.