Question Finding Phantom errors on flash drive.

i_am_jim

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
I just bought a new 32GB flash drive. I'm using it to copy files from an old to a new computer. Often when inserting it for a new chunk of data it gives a message something like 'this device has errors, scan now to correct' But every time I scan Windows says 'No errors found.' I did this about 3-5 times, with the same result and quit scanning.

What's going on?

i_am_jim

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
it in on the new computer or the old?

There are three computers involved here -- mine, wife's old one, wife's new one.

I know it happens on my computer. I think it happens on the other two but I didn't mention it because I wasn't completely sure.

the same one having issue with 4GB as 1.8GB?

All three computers said the 4GB was 1.8GB and all say this one is 28.6GB

what the model of this 32GB flash drive?
SanDisk Ultra CZ48

i_am_jim

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
are you using the Eject function? Often just removing the device will cause this error if windows hasn't closed the files completely.
That's likely a good point but

Edited to correct comment:

The drive has been erased on the drive it was removed from and the error happens on the empty drive when inserted in the drive to copy more files.

You could just remove the HDD's from the computer plug them into the other one and copy it across
If you are on the same LAN connection, you could just copy the files through lan
You could open up a dropbox or google drive account, Sync your data to that so you have a proper backup then sync it on another computer which will download it.
USB seems the slowest of the slow solution to copy files.