Question Finding the correct PCIE cable

Dreamstreet

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2017
So I'm looking for an extra PCIe Cable so I have 2 connecting from my PSU to my GPU. I'm not sure what to look for, but got one and it didn't fit apparently.

My PSU is: Seasonic Focus+ 750W 80+ Gold
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC

So I'm looking for an extra PCIe Cable so I have 2 connecting from my PSU to my GPU. I'm not sure what to look for, but got one and it didn't fit apparently.

My PSU is: Seasonic Focus+ 750W 80+ Gold
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC
That GPU needs 2x 8pin power plugs. Your PSU has 2 PCIe 6+2 pin (8 total pins) connectors with each cable having 2 connectors on it. You will want to use both cables (never the best idea to use both connectors from a single cable for a GPU) that are labeled PCI-E.

If you have misplaced the extra pcie cables that came with your psu, contact seasonic for an authorized replacement.
Any other source may expose you to strange issues.

But, the psu is designed to handle two 8 pin connectors on a single lead.
To date, I have had no issues doing so with a similar card.
If I ever take things apart, I would double the cable, but I see no urgency in doing so.

Dreamstreet

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2017
That GPU needs 2x 8pin power plugs. Your PSU has 2 PCIe 6+2 pin (8 total pins) connectors with each cable having 2 connectors on it. You will want to use both cables (never the best idea to use both connectors from a single cable for a GPU) that are labeled PCI-E.

I got 1 cable with 2x 6+2 pin connectors, but I want to do it with 2 cables. I can't find a second one that fits both the PSU and the GPU.

Dreamstreet

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2017
If you have misplaced the extra pcie cables that came with your psu, contact seasonic for an authorized replacement.

If I ever take things apart, I would double the cable, but I see no urgency in doing so.
Can I still do that, even though it's been years since I bought the PSU?
So you use 1 cable with 2x 6+2 pin connectors and haven't experienced issues?

Can I still do that, even though it's been years since I bought the PSU?
So you use 1 cable with 2x 6+2 pin connectors and haven't experienced issues?
Exactly.
If the psu was not capable of handling two 8 pin outputs on the single cable, it would have been designed differently.
Seasonic is a quality psu maker.
That said, why not contact Seasonic customer support about replacement cables.
Your psu has a 10 year warranty.
There have been some issues with 3000 series cards sending signals that the psu can't handle.
The issue has been resolved with new cables.

Dreamstreet

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2017
Exactly.
If the psu was not capable of handling two 8 pin outputs on the single cable, it would have been designed differently.
Seasonic is a quality psu maker.
That said, why not contact Seasonic customer support about replacement cables.
Your psu has a 10 year warranty.
There have been some issues with 3000 series cards sending signals that the psu can't handle.
The issue has been resolved with new cables.
Thank you very much. I just wrote to them and hopefully I'll get a new PCIe cable to fix the power issues I've had.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

My Seasonic said 225 watts for a single cable using both of the 6+2 in the manual that came with the power supply. This could very depending on wire gauge and how long it is.

Edit Seasonic G series is what I have.

My Seasonic said 225 watts for a single cable using both of the 6+2 in the manual that came with the power supply. This could very depending on wire gauge and how long it is.

Edit Seasonic G series is what I have.
Trust the manual.
I am a bit surprised, I will have to check my manual.( can't find it)
225w would be a 6 and an 8 pin connection.
It would be worth asking Seasonic customer support.
It would appear that Seasonic recommends using two cables, but does not require them.
It is not clear to me what matters.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador