[SOLVED] Finding the right bargain upgrade for my laptop.

Cy Ber

Honorable
Feb 3, 2015
I have a
HP 15-ba079dx

and i'm looking to upgrade the RAM to 16 gb, and the HDD to an SSD thru the means of a DVD to SATA adapter.

Solution
On the ssd, I suggest buying a 1tb samsung 860 QVO for about $110.
Iike samsung because it has a nice ssd migration app.
Use a usb to sata adapter cable to do the copy. About $10.
Then, simply replace the original HDD.
Here is a link to the app and user instructions:
Afterwards, repurpose the HDD for external backup using the same adapter cable.

On the ram, go to a ram web site like kingston and access their ram upgrade app.
Enter the make/model of your laptop and you will get a list of supported upgrade kits.
If you can't find the exact part, then a different brand with the same specs is ok.

Cy Ber

Honorable
Feb 3, 2015
Yea I mean I will probably put the HDD in the caddie I just didn't think those specifics were necessary in finding a caddy which would be compatible.
And I think I need something 7mm so whatever the cheapest 7mm ssd is I can find.
It's only for my boot really, but would be nice to have some applications on it, so maybe like 240g or something 500 if it's reasonable.

On the ssd, I suggest buying a 1tb samsung 860 QVO for about $110.
Iike samsung because it has a nice ssd migration app.
Use a usb to sata adapter cable to do the copy. About $10.
Then, simply replace the original HDD.
Here is a link to the app and user instructions:
Afterwards, repurpose the HDD for external backup using the same adapter cable.

On the ram, go to a ram web site like kingston and access their ram upgrade app.
Enter the make/model of your laptop and you will get a list of supported upgrade kits.
If you can't find the exact part, then a different brand with the same specs is ok.

Solution

jasonf2

Distinguished
The best performance upgrade you are going to make here will be moving the boot drive over to SSD. Rust drive latency is the issue so I would focus on capacity for what you are doing rather than speed. Get a large SSD and get rid of all the spin drive(s). You will see more from the drive upgrade than ram and I would focus on that rather than upgrading ram. By keeping the existing spin drive all you are doing is bottle necking unless you are wanting to save large archive files. For those purposes cloud and SSD is more performance clean anyways.