Question Finding the right RAM for my new motherboard. (Also what do memory support lists really say?)

hellzer

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
I need some help understanding the support lists provided by motherboard manufacturers.
(motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS ELITE, cpu: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8GHz 32MB)

I'm wondering. If I was to get 32 GB of RAM (2x16). There are these 2 options below that I am thinking of.

1. https://www.1a.lt/p/corsair-vengean...-of-2-cmk32gx4m2e3200c16/5oak?cat=2v7&index=1
  2. https://www.1a.lt/p/corsair-vengean...t-of-2-cmk32gx4m2b3200c16/2af?cat=2v7&index=6
Now here is the issue:

Nearly identical options, only voltages are different (1.35 & 1.2). However, I checked the memory support list (b450-aorus-elite, https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10/support#support-doc ) and the first RAM option isn't on the list (I am searching by serial numbers). However, the second is there but the voltages then don't match.
On the list it says 1.35v. Now you would assume the first RAM option should be there seeing as it is 1.35v.
So I am wondering why that could be? Could you guys please check and tell me what you know/think?

If there are some shenanigans indeed. Hypothetically speaking. Would you personally ignore the fact that first module isn't on the list and just go with those RAM seeing as they match everything (on paper) and there is no reason why they shouldn't work? Or you would go with the second option although it has lower voltage then shown on the list but the product serial number is listed? (Assuming voltages aren't important)

See, I don't really even know what those listed modules even mean. They say which ones have been tested and worked fine? If so, they tested that product with 1.35v parameter, I assume then the one with standard 1.2 voltage should also be work well, no?

Help me understand this mess please.

Last edited:

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
the QVL or qulalfied Vendors List is a list of modules they HAD ON HAND to test with when they were testing the board. they cannot/didn't have access to RAM not yet made. so they test a wide array of modules from many vendors to ensure broad compatibility of the board with the modules.

if the module is on the list get it, the risk is gone from the factory testing.

hellzer

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
the QVL or qulalfied Vendors List is a list of modules they HAD ON HAND to test with when they were testing the board. they cannot/didn't have access to RAM not yet made. so they test a wide array of modules from many vendors to ensure broad compatibility of the board with the modules.

if the module is on the list get it, the risk is gone from the factory testing.

Well the second module matches with the list but then the voltage is different. I guess that's not important then?

View: https://imgur.com/Dzolp7d

hellzer

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
the QVL list modules in both voltages. both are supported.
the memory controller is located in the CPU. the BIOS/UEFI will allow you to verify /change voltages if needed. it should autodetect and go, but verify first.

Ok so the second option is a safe pick then?

And about the first one. Is there a reason why it could not work besides being mechanically broken? I mean there are 3200 Mhz CL16 Corsairs with the exact same voltage on the QVL list, but it's not that particular one.
Hypothetically speaking, what could be different that would not allow it to work?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Ok so the second option is a safe pick then?
And about the first one. Is there a reason why it could not work besides being mechanically broken?
a BIOS revision or two. Matisse or Ryzen 3 is still relatively new and it took a while to work out all the gremlins in the earlier series. the motherboard you chose is mature enough to have most problems taken care of, but the new CPU MAY require a BIOS update or two for everything to play well.
so software and broken

hellzer

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
a BIOS revision or two. Matisse or Ryzen 3 is still relatively new and it took a while to work out all the gremlins in the earlier series. the motherboard you chose is mature enough to have most problems taken care of, but the new CPU MAY require a BIOS update or two for everything to play well.
so software and broken

Quick question. How are the new Ryzen CPU temperatures? I noticed Ryzen 7 3700x has lower power consumption and yet better performance than R5 3600x. I do have a custom cooler but I wouldn't want to worry about the temperatures. So how hot do they get compared to other processors? Do you know?

Mar 16, 2019
Your B450 does not support 3200Mhz memory.
It only supports 2933Mhz memory that can be overclocked to 3200Mhz, among other speeds.

From the specification list at Gigabyte -
  1. 4 x DDR4 DIMM sockets supporting up to 64 GB of system memory
  2. Dual channel memory architecture
  3. Support for DDR4 3600(O.C.)/3466(O.C.)/3200(O.C.)/2933/2667/2400/2133 MHz memory modules
  4. Support for ECC Un-buffered DIMM 1Rx8/2Rx8 memory modules (operate in non-ECC mode)
  5. Support for non-ECC Un-buffered DIMM 1Rx8/2Rx8/1Rx16 memory modules
The (OC) next to the 3200 and other numbers is the speed it will take when the sticks are overclocked.
The numbers 2933/2667/2400/2133 are the Native speed modules/sticks that it will accept. Your MB only accepts 1 specific module at 2933Mhz, then you can overclock it to one of the speeds listed with an (OC) next to it.
Corsair CMK128GX4MBZ2933C16 ver 4.31, 1.35 volt, Samsung chip.

I have the same board from Asus. I've never seen an AMD B450 MB that took anything over 2933 base speed memory. The fastest mine will take is 2666Mhz.

EDIT -
These B450 MB's came out in 2018 and there may be other modules made since or that never made it to the QVL initially that will work BUT the base speeds -2933, 2667, 2400, 2133Mhz limitations will never change.

Last edited:

hellzer

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
Your B450 does not support 3200Mhz memory.
It only supports 2933Mhz memory that can be overclocked to 3200Mhz, among other speeds.

From the specification list at Gigabyte -
  1. 4 x DDR4 DIMM sockets supporting up to 64 GB of system memory
  2. Dual channel memory architecture
  3. Support for DDR4 3600(O.C.)/3466(O.C.)/3200(O.C.)/2933/2667/2400/2133 MHz memory modules
  4. Support for ECC Un-buffered DIMM 1Rx8/2Rx8 memory modules (operate in non-ECC mode)
  5. Support for non-ECC Un-buffered DIMM 1Rx8/2Rx8/1Rx16 memory modules
The (OC) next to the 3200 and other numbers is the speed it will take when the sticks are overclocked.
The numbers 2933/2667/2400/2133 are the Native speed modules/sticks that it will accept. Your MB only accepts 1 specific module at 2933Mhz, then you can overclock it to one of the speeds listed with an (OC) next to it.
Corsair CMK128GX4MBZ2933C16 ver 4.31, 1.35 volt, Samsung chip.

I have the same board from Asus. I've never seen an AMD B450 MB that took anything over 2933 base speed memory. The fastest mine will take is 2666Mhz.

EDIT -
These B450 MB's came out in 2018 and there may be other modules made since or that never made it to the QVL initially that will work BUT the base speeds -2933, 2667, 2400, 2133Mhz limitations will never change.

These should be fine then?
https://www.1a.lt/p/kingston-hyperx...kit-of-2-hx429c17fb2k2-16/2y6?cat=2v7&index=6

Last edited:

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
3200 MHz RAM should work fine on the Gigabyte B450 AORUS ELITE.
You will just need to enable the XMP profile in the BIOS.
And yes it is technically OCing the RAM BUT it is an OC that is fully supported by your MB, which is why those 3200 kits are on the QVL.

I am currently running my 16 GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200 (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR) kit at 3200 MHz using the XMP (DOCP for my Asus) Profile and it works perfectly.
I even OC'd it manually to 3400 MHz when I had a 2600 on this MB.

So if you want 3200 MHz RAM and it is on your QVL then it will almost certainly run at 3200 Mhz on your MB unless the BIOS is buggy.

hellzer

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
3200 MHz RAM should work fine on the Gigabyte B450 AORUS ELITE.
You will just need to enable the XMP profile in the BIOS.
And yes it is technically OCing the RAM BUT it is an OC that is fully supported by your MB, which is why those 3200 kits are on the QVL.

I am currently running my 16 GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200 (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR) kit at 3200 MHz using the XMP (DOCP for my Asus) Profile and it works perfectly.
I even OC'd it manually to 3400 MHz when I had a 2600 on this MB.

So if you want 3200 MHz RAM and it is on your QVL then it will almost certainly run at 3200 Mhz on your MB unless the BIOS is buggy.

Is it a guarantee that XMP is an option in every motherboard and what am I sacrificing for using such a memory profile? Would I be getting noticeable faster rendering / loading speeds over using standard 2993 MHz RAM?
What happens if I don't switch on the XMP?
Also that specific model isn't in the supported QVL list, so I guess that's an extra risk?

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Is it a guarantee that XMP is an option in every motherboard and what am I sacrificing for using such a memory profile? Would I be getting noticeable faster rendering / loading speeds over using standard 2993 MHz RAM?
What happens if I don't switch on the XMP?
Also that specific model isn't in the supported QVL list, so I guess that's an extra risk?
If you do Not enable the XMP (or DOCP on Asus MBs) profile, the RAM will default to 2133 MHz and your systems performance will be noticeably slower.
As far as using RAM from the QVL, many people tell you to ignore it and buy whatever you want, But I personally prefer to get a kit that is on the QVL so I know it will work because it was actually tested on my exact motherboard.
I also prefer G.Skill RAM because they have an excellent RMA policy and sell quality RAM kits.
If a RAM kit is listed by G.Skill as compatible it means they tested it on a specific motherboard and it will work at it's rated speed.
https://www.gskill.com/configurator