Fine Download Speed and Upload Speed but unstable latency

Jul 11, 2018
For the past three months I have been experiencing ping that constantly fluctuates between 20 and a maximum of 300. I restarted the Router and tested different devices connected to the WiFi to see if it was not my device. I have a wireless connection from my pc to our router 50 feet away and never experienced problems. I had a download speed of 360 kbs and a weak upload speed but never had ping problems unless someone was streaming or downloading. We recently upgraded our plan to 1.8 mbs download but the problem persists. The router we have is an Apple Airport Time Capsule. We have a PoE adapter but I still have little idea to what that does. When we called our ISP (succeed.net) they told us that we should upgrade our plan as it was for one person and there are four people who use the WiFi. We called them again and they said our connection is fine

Solution
Anything with wireless is going to be very difficult to troubleshoot.

Checking for bufferbloat is easy if you have a router with a current bandwidth monitor. If it's maxed you will get some lag. Trying to manage downloads/uploads from your side might be better then qos. the ERX is only $50 so if it's worth buying just to try go for it.
1.8Mbs is very low or is that 1.8MBs?

bufferbloat is the increased latency you see when you are swamping your connection. packets pile up at the bottleneck and drop after the buffer is full. which is why you don't see latency get over 300ms.
option1: get more bandwidth (downloads still will cause latency, they go faster)
option2: throttle downloads on the client side
option3: QoS qdisc, very limited number of routers support QoS that works for bufferbloat. edgerouter X is one. connection must be very stable.
option4: QoS using limiters. many routers have limiter options. you can throttle everyone else and let the gaming rigs have the rest.

Jul 11, 2018

1.8 Megabytes. Let me clarify. There are no devices using more than 0.1 megabits (that I know of)and even when I plug the LAN cable directly into a device I experience latency of 50 with spikes up to 150 every 10 seconds.

Jul 11, 2018

Again, I'm not too sure what PoE does along with what type of network I have but I can describe the setup. A cat 5 cable runs from the sat dish to the PoE adapter and then another Cat 5 Patch runs from there to the router. The Router and the PoE have the there own power. The ISP provided the PoE adapter.

Jul 11, 2018

Its point to point but our ISP says that our connection is fine. That is why I am confused on what the problem is. Never happened before, not sure if its the poe adapter or something else

Anything with wireless is going to be very difficult to troubleshoot.

Checking for bufferbloat is easy if you have a router with a current bandwidth monitor. If it's maxed you will get some lag. Trying to manage downloads/uploads from your side might be better then qos. the ERX is only $50 so if it's worth buying just to try go for it.

Solution