[SOLVED] Fine Tuning 8600K OC

Apr 24, 2021
System
CPU: 8600K
Cooler: Cryorig H7
Mobo: Gigabyte Z370 HD3 (latest version)
GPU: Sapphire RX580 4GB
RAM: G.Skill Flare X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
PSU: EVGA BR 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

I seem to have a stable OC at 4.7Ghz @ 1.285Vcore. XMP Profile 1 running as well. AVX offset = 2, uncore = 41. Ran 2 prime 95 blender tests for 6h. Max temp 76°C no issues, VRM ~60°C. This is my first OC so just a few questions:

1. While Prime95 is running Vcore in CPUID drops and stays at 1.15V to 1.18V. If not under load sits at 1.28V. This voltage drop normal just due to load?
  2. LLC is currently set to Auto. I saw a lot of guides change this to high or turbo but the TH guide noted to leave it? Should I change it and what will the effect be?
  3. I have left all the power saving features enabled except voltage optimisation as per TH guide. Using the PC normally the multiplier jumps between 8 and 47 a lot (frequently). Doesn't really scale as well as it did with base settings. Is this normal? Setting I need to change? I don't need the PC at full tilt 24/7.
  4. At 76°C on blender can I squeeze a bit more out of my current set up. More of a 'if it works don't touch it type thing'?
  5. Any other settings or notes that would be useful for this OC?
Blender crashes at 4.8Ghz after about 2h to 3h so will need more power but don't want to push temps to high.

Last edited:
Solution
MCE merely selects that all cores are in sync at max specified turbo under load....and does not prevent you from selecting/specifying a higher turbo if more headroom is available. (If I recall correctly the standard /default all core turbo would be something less than 4.3 GHz; certainly in most gaming scenarios, wanting all cores as high as possible would be a goal)

XTU will allow you to specify higher core clocks, assuming all -core turbo of 4.3 GHz is without issue on temps, as I would expect it to be. (Most 8600K owners typically have no issue until at least at 4.7 GHz all core, with many hitting higher, depending on cooling and mainboard VRM temps)

I would not get into the mindset of 'all clock speeds short of 5 GHz are...
In Balanced mode with MCE enabled, you should get the proverbial 'best of both worlds', an all-core sustained turbo of 4.7 GHz during work/game play, as well as 800-1200 MHz low power operation when just loafing at the desktop, with once or more cores bouncing up to and as high as 4.7 GHz for whatever duration is needed...

I'd not bother further increasing clock speeds, as you are likely limited by your GPU anyway at most resolutions....

Reactions: Big Lasagna
Apr 24, 2021
In Balanced mode with MCE enabled, you should get the proverbial 'best of both worlds', an all-core sustained turbo of 4.7 GHz during work/game play, as well as 800-1200 MHz low power operation when just loafing at the desktop, with once or more cores bouncing up to and as high as 4.7 GHz for whatever duration is needed...

I'd not bother further increasing clock speeds, as you are likely limited by your GPU anyway at most resolutions....
Awesome, Ill check it out and see what the temps do. The general consensus was that MCE is not the best way to overclock to to high vcore/temps? You suggesting it due to mixed use if the PC?

MCE merely selects that all cores are in sync at max specified turbo under load....and does not prevent you from selecting/specifying a higher turbo if more headroom is available. (If I recall correctly the standard /default all core turbo would be something less than 4.3 GHz; certainly in most gaming scenarios, wanting all cores as high as possible would be a goal)

XTU will allow you to specify higher core clocks, assuming all -core turbo of 4.3 GHz is without issue on temps, as I would expect it to be. (Most 8600K owners typically have no issue until at least at 4.7 GHz all core, with many hitting higher, depending on cooling and mainboard VRM temps)

I would not get into the mindset of 'all clock speeds short of 5 GHz are useless'....which, unfortunately, is a quite common mindset.

Solution