Fine Tuning My Music Production Build

jr5furacao

Commendable
Jul 18, 2018
Hi, I'm building a computer for music production that also has the capability to game in 1440p, I'll personally put it together and that's a first time, so I'd like to ask for some general tips and clarify some doubts, as well as for your rating on my choice of components, if you're willing to do so

Here's how it is looking like:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/H8Ppmq

CPU AMD Ryzen 7 2700x 3.7 GHz
as my main objective is producing music I favored the 2700x over the 8700k due to its better multi threaded performance, posted a thread on the subject that you can read here

RAM G Skill Tridentz RGB 16GB 3200 MHz CL14 (8x2)
specifications I was looking for were CL 14, B-die, 16GB, 3200 MHz. I'll expand to 32 gigs if necessary

Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII
haven't researched a lot to be honest, I like Asus and read good opinions, I need USB type-C for my sound card

Storage Samsung 960 EVO 1TB
this might be a controversial one, I'm willing to pay the premium for lower noise levels (for audio monitoring) and faster file transfer/boot time, while compromising on storage space

GPU MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
I know I won't be able to run properly some AAA games on 1440p, plan is to upgrade in 2-3 years to 1080 maybe TI (no SLI), read that MSI has the quieter 1060

Display Asus ROG Swift PG279Q IPS 4ms 144 Hz QHD
IPS because of image quality, ok response time, QHD for more space since I might not be able to go double monitor (speakers placement), 144 Hz since it comes with the package, Asus because I love my current Asus monitor and their aesthetics

Power Supplier Corsair RM650i
has low db output (18.3 dB) and fan control. Pcpartpicker marks 450W when I change my GPU to a 1080TI

Case NZXT H700i ATX Mid Tower Case
still researching here... love the aesthetics on this one

I know asking for help might seem lazy but I researched a lot, however some things just pass, or are beyond my understanding (I'm really tired of researching please HELP). I also feel that when you get to a certain level there is no wrong choice, but I want that feeling of knowing every single part of my PC and understanding each choice. Main concern is will it all conect fine? I know almost nothing about that connection part... Is there any choice you believe could've been better? Give your opinion!

As for the cooling system I'm going with air, but still researching. I need this build to be as quiet as possible, if you have any tips regarding that I'd appreciate it

Thanks

I would suggest this :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor ($319.79 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright - Le Grand Macho RT 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - X470 Taichi Ultimate ATX AM4 Motherboard ($229.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: HP - EX920 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($279.48 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX 580 8GB NITRO+ Video Card ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Case: be quiet! - Pure Base 600 w/Window (Black/Orange) ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($94.89 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM 50.5 CFM 120mm Fan ($17.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: Acer - ED7 34.0" 3440x1440 100Hz Monitor ($529.68 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Corsair - STRAFE MX Silent Wired Gaming Keyboard ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2217.64
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-06 04:30 EDT-0400

The on board sound system is pretty good I believe. The gpu will get loud during gaming, but for normal usage it will be quiet.

jr5furacao

Commendable
Jul 18, 2018

Hey, thank you for doing this build

It is a very interesting build and I noticed... $400 cheaper! And with a CPU cooler, and case fans... How the fuck!?

Would you say I'm being way more expensive than necessary? I'll say though: I still prefer my build, mainly because I researched everything and feel secure with each choice (apart from the case), truth is I just love that premium feel, so my idea is to make small changes, even though you suggested very interesting changes. For example the Asrock Taichi instead of the Crosshair, from what I understand they have very similar performance but price 45 dollars apart which is enough for me to start considering the Asrock... going RX580 (I haven't realised how much cheaper the RX is!) and pairing with a 34" 4K Free-Sync monitor cheaper than the one I chose is an option worth considering, however in order to push those games in 4K I would need way more than the RX580, that in itself would make my build almost unsuitable for gaming until I swapped my GPU, this makes 4K displays unnatractive for me, however that display size would be perfect for me with the 4K outputing amazing space inside my DAW, it would fit perfectly between my speakers and probably would be better to watch from the couch (I'm also building a home theater forgot to mention), as for the SSD I don't know anything about the HP EX920. Oh and on the RAM, the one I chose is a model specifically made for AMD's CPUs, but yeah still, that's worth the $85 difference? If its just that I don't think so...

There's also the availability issue and price divergence here (Brazil baby) to consider, so I'll put some thought on those... If meanwhile you could give me your opinion on the points I made I'd appreciate it

Thanksssssss

Update: Forgot the case, I had seen the one you chose on a silent PC building video and briefly considered it, but I just prefer way more the aesthetics on the NZXT, although I'm not sure it is good for a silent build or a good case overall

Ohhhh just realised seeing the monitor page that it's actually not a 4K display, that makes things more interesting...

It is good that onboard audio is fine for referencing but it's not really important since I'll be using an external solution. Yes, if the GPU is quiet when idle/low load it's excelent. If the CPU fan could be also quiet when under stress it would be great but I might be asking too much.

The cpu cooler is one of the quietest. Since it's a beefy cooler, it imposes ram height limitations and you can't see the rams. Hence the low profile rams.

Yes, I went with the be quiet case for both quietness and aesthetics. Went for silent wings fans for the same reason.

That gpu will not power games at 3440x1440 at 100hz but u can play at 2560x1080 at 60hz with mediums high settings until you get a proper gpu.

HP ex920 offers the same performance as the 960 Evo. Only drawback is it uses 512gb buffer data from ur ram. So the faster ur ram, faster the ssd. Not to mention that it's cheaper than the 960.

jr5furacao

Commendable
Jul 18, 2018
If i throw a be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro on this build do I have the same RAM height limitations? Will I have to change my RAM choice?

Update: Here's what I'll do: I'll postpone both the monitor and better GPU purchase, and meanwhile I'll use my Asus 1080p monitor, by doing that I'll be able to finish this build with a tighter budget, and to drop my current GPU choice even further since it'll only run 1920x1080.

I'm thinking 1050 Ti from my quick search...

Dark rock pro 4 has adjustable fan bracket so that you can mount ur fan a bit higher I believe. But that still won't allow you to mount the trident z. That's too tall. You definitely need a low profile ram.

I would suggest the cryorig r1 instead of the dark rock pro 4. Better thermals.

Noctua is said to release an all black NH D15 soon but I don't know when.

One option is the 2700X comes with a stock cooler, so you can wait for the noctua if you want.

Regarding gpu, the 1050ti at high settings might not give you 60fps. But the rx570 will. Are they in the same price range?

jr5furacao

Commendable
Jul 18, 2018
Thanks for the response!

That's not good to know :( I really wanted to keep the Tridentz

Nice! I'll check both coolers, I want to know how much noise these things are outputting. Yes, I guess no problem in waiting, wouldn't REALLY bother me. I remember that I got spooked pretty fast by the Noctua's aesthetics haha. I'll take a good look into these options, thanks.

Regarding GPUs, yes, I came across that info (1050 not enough) after posting... the RX570 is exactly in the middle between the 1050 TI and the 1060 6GB here. I don't really play heavy games so perhaps I could get away with the 1050, but if I'm going up I think I'll go 1060, no real reason though, initially I thought G-Sync but I'll probably upgrade GPU first then display.

Actually now that I stopped to think with the 1060 I would be able to upgrade the monitor first because it would kind of take the load in 1440p, however I would definitely have to drop graphics in games.