Question Fingerprint reader lost some functionality after Win 10 installation

Jun 6, 2020
I had Win 7 installed on my ThinkPad X220 for as long as I could, but when support ended, I upgraded to Win 10.
This means that the fingerprint reader is now managed by Hello, instead of Lenovo's software.
Since this upgrade, the reader only works when a user is logged in; never after a restart or after the computer was off - the login screen stays on "please wait...", and the sensor doesn't turn on, until I log in with a password. Also, it used to be possible to turn on the computer by swiping the sensor - that's no longer available either.
In addition, even when the sensor is available, it seems to give me more "bad quality" errors than before. (it sometimes feels like it just won't accept the fingerprint at all, and I end up typing in the password)

If anyone has any suggestion for getting my beloved fingerprint reader back to full functionality, I'd really appreciate it!

kanewolf

Titan
I had Win 7 installed on my ThinkPad X220 for as long as I could, but when support ended, I upgraded to Win 10.
This means that the fingerprint reader is now managed by Hello, instead of Lenovo's software.
Since this upgrade, the reader only works when a user is logged in; never after a restart or after the computer was off - the login screen stays on "please wait...", and the sensor doesn't turn on, until I log in with a password. Also, it used to be possible to turn on the computer by swiping the sensor - that's no longer available either.
In addition, even when the sensor is available, it seems to give me more "bad quality" errors than before. (it sometimes feels like it just won't accept the fingerprint at all, and I end up typing in the password)

If anyone has any suggestion for getting my beloved fingerprint reader back to full functionality, I'd really appreciate it!
There is a Windows 8 driver for the fingerprint scanner that you could try and install -- https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/...driver-list/component?name=Fingerprint Reader
This thread seems to say that will work -- https://superuser.com/questions/995...anager-instead-of-windows-hello-on-windows-10

Jun 6, 2020
I get an error saying that Windows Biometrics Frameworks needs to be enabled. I googled this, and followed the answers that I found there. Still the same error.