[SOLVED] Fingerprint sensor not working after powering laptop on (from shutdown)

yian11

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
I have an Acer Swift 5 SF515-51T laptop with 8GB RAM. As the title suggests if I turn the laptop off and then on Windows Hello doesn't detect the fact that I'm touching the sensor at all. If I put the pc to sleep, or just sign out and then sign in it unlocks completely normally with the fingerprint sensor.

One solution I've found was to tweak the "Maximum memory" in msconfig Boot settings. I set it to 8192MB RAM; however only shows 6.1GB is actually usable when looking at task manager/pc properties and I experience slow performance/lags in general. I tried checking "make all boot boot settings permanent", but that caused my pc to have booting failure. Luckily I managed to get it back to normal with some repair software on a bootable usb.

Obviously this is a problem with Windows, so is there anything that can be done to both have the fingerprint sensor work normally and my RAM to be full usable?

Solution
Something to try,

1. Uninstall the stock fingerprint software , then reboot.

2. Uninstall and delete the original driver from Device Manager\Biometric Sensor, then reboot.

3. Check for the new driver (mine is called installation in Device Manager\Biometric Sensor.

4. Check for Windows Hello to show up in Settings\Accounts\Sign-In Options and activate it.

yian11

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
Hello

Can you please check if this happens only when the laptop is running on battery, or even when connected to a power supply?

The simplest solution could be to Run the SFC /SCANNOW Command and see if it helps.

Feel free to report back for any further assistance.

Cheers!!

Thank you for the quick response. It turns out if I unplug the power and restart it, then there is no problem with the fingerprint sign in on battery. If I restart while it is still connected, the fingerprint is not detected.

Edit: I have just ran the sfc/ scannow and it said it found no issues.

Last edited:
Something to try,

1. Uninstall the stock fingerprint software , then reboot.

2. Uninstall and delete the original driver from Device Manager\Biometric Sensor, then reboot.

3. Check for the new driver (mine is called installation in Device Manager\Biometric Sensor.

4. Check for Windows Hello to show up in Settings\Accounts\Sign-In Options and activate it.

Solution