Finished my build! Have a couple questions, please help!

The4rchitect

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
Ok, so here is my build:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tnwK23

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H55 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($114.00 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($369.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Gunmetal/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($102.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1261.89

These questions will mainly deal with issues related to the power supply/motherboard and case.

1) I moved the rear fan on the NZXT Phantom 410 to the top, as my cooler fan would be replacing that one. So I have in total the cooler fan, two top fans and a front fan. The cooler fan and top two fans both run, but the front fan does not! I'm pretty sure I have all my cables routed into a molex for the fan controller, but I am not sure if I did it correctly. I did NOT plug anything into the sysfan1 or sysfan2 spots on my MOBO, as there wasn't anything to plug in (the fans were already plugged in to receivers, leading to the fan controller I believe. The cooler fan I plugged into the "power fan" slot. Why isn't my front fan working?

2) The fan controller does not change the fan speed. Currently only one of my fans lights up (I was certain the front fan had an LED also, but maybe whatever is causing that fan to not work is also causing the LED to not work either. Adjusting the fan controller on the case causes no change to fan speed, however it does slightly increase/decrease the brightness of my one fan LED. Very weird...

3) No firewire 1394 (I believe those are the numbers, laziness.) I'm assuming my power supply doesn't support that, as it is not modular so there's no way I could have lost a cable. Do I need a firewire thing anyways?

4) How do I get my computer to detect my hard drive? I unplugged the hard drive so my computer would automatically download the OS to my SSD (that's what newegg told me to do :/) but then after plugging the hard drive back in my computer doesn't recognize that it is there. What do I need to do?

I probably will have a couple more questions but these are the major ones right now. Thanks for all the help, I'll post pictures when I can if those will help

1 = which controller you have?
usually you can use the software coming with the mobo to adjust the speed of theses fans
by connecting them to the specific connector on the mobo

2 = Hardware Installation
- 24 -3/4/5) CPU_FAN/SYS_FAN1/SYS_FAN2/PWR_FAN (Fan Headers)
The motherboard has a 4-pin CPU fan header (CPU_FAN), a 3-pin (SYS_FAN2) and a 4-pin (SYS_
FAN1) system fan headers, and a 3-pin power fan header (PWR_FAN). Most fan headers possess a
foolproof insertion design. When connecting a fan cable, be sure to connect it in the correct orientation
(the black connector wire is the ground wire). The motherboard supports CPU fan speed control, which
requires the use of a CPU fan with fan speed control design. For optimum heat dissipation, it is recom
mended that a system fan be installed inside the chassis

3 = ?

4 = go in the bios and see if the hdd is detected , all is base on the settings you will decide on which ssd or hdd the system will boot in

The4rchitect

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
Ok, so I fixed pretty much everything, the front fan had an issue with the cable causing it to not work, I don't know what was wrong but i lightly touched the cable and it started up fine. I figured out how to get my computer to read my HDD, wasn't difficult. I guess I don't need a firewire port, not worried about it.

However, I'm not sure if my fan controller is working! I'm certain I have everything plugged in correctly, and when I change my fan speed from low to med to high, only the led brightness on my one fan led changes! I cannot detect any difference in fan speed, even when listening closely and with my face/hand pressed directly above the fan to detect any changes in air. I haven't been able to find an answer on this, some have said that if the led gets brighter, that is because the PSU is supplying more voltage to the fan, which means the fan would have to speed up. But if so, wouldn't I detect a difference, either through sight, sound, or feel of the fan? Please help!

The4rchitect

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
Can anyone answer the question regarding the fan controller please? I have SpeedFan installed and my RPM's definitely do not change when I adjust the fan controller, they stay constant. Also, the fans seem like they're barely blowing any air, I can hardly feel the air coming out of the top of my case. Please help!

The4rchitect

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
It seems like their customer support is nonexistent, every time I call they say they are closed, and their live chat feature is always down for maintenance. :( I'm never gonna get this figured out

The4rchitect

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
Ok, finally got ahold of them, the tech guy said that if the led brightness changes, then the fan is speeding up, whether I can hear it or not. So there's that, I'm considering just not using the fan controller at all and hooking the fans to my motherboard, so I can control and monitor them through a program instead.

Anyways, downloaded HWMonitor, just want to make sure my temps are ok? My system in idle records these temps:

Temperatures:
System- 36C (value) 36C (min) 36C (max)
CPU- 30C (value) 29C (min) 32C (max)

so that's consistent at least, but isn't that a little high for idle temps? also, which one do I go by, because there's also this:

AMD FX-8350
10C (value) 9C (min) 29C (max)

that's a little wider range, which one do I need to be looking at? my specs for reference, they are above but I'll put them here again:

AMD FX 8350 (stock)
Gigabyte GA 990fx ud3
XFX Radeon R9 290
Corsair H55 Liquid CPU cooler
XFX 650W Bronze
Windows 8.1