Finishing touches on a new RTX build

3nn10

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
Here is what I have picked out so far: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/g9WKMZ

So far I have bought:
i7-8086k CPU (bought first, before 9900K released so I'll get one of those when their prices come back down...)
Taichi Ultimate MOBO
Corsair Vengeance RGB Prop 32GB 3200
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB m.2
Samsung 860 PRO 1TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-76P1T0BW)
Thermaltake Level 20XT case
Acer Predator X27 (drool, it gets delivered today)

I plan on getting an EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING, if they are ever in stock again... Are there any comparable Tis available? In the mean time I'll stick an old 1070 in there.

What I need:
CPU cooler. I'm thinking Thermaltake - Floe Ring RGB 360 TT Premium Edition 42.34 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler? Looking to try the whole AIO thing, and want it to look good with the glass sided case.
Another storage disk? I have the m.2 and an ssd, is it worthwhile to get a 2tb HDD to store stuff like pictures/media?
Power Supply is 850 enough? Was thinking of going with a thermaltake to go along with the case/cpu cooler if I go that route. but I've heard EVGA's are good as well.

I'm pretty close to having all I need to get the system up and ready, so I'm looking forward to hearing your sage advice!

Solution
A little off topic but why not go the whole hog and opt for a custom WC loop? Several companies are already making RTX compatible full coverage blocks and a single 420x30mm top mounted radiator will cool all your parts in one go for the noise of 5 fans; Three for the rad and two 200mm intakes. The case is actually large enough to carry dual 480 rads in fact ( but that WOULD be silly) but if you're after a really clean look such a rad would neatly fill one of the top locations.

If the full WC loop ( and its attendant cost ) doesn't appeal or isn't part of your plans then all the parts you have listed look fine to me, personally I'm dead boring and wouldn't opt for so much RGB bling but that's just me being old and boring. ;) That said...
TBH 32GB of RAM is excessive for normal mortals, but you don't say what the system will be used for, so it may be what you need, if it's for gaming/general uses without HUGE multitasking requirements, maybe, just maybe you might want to send 16Gb back to recoup a little cash.

Nice call on the cooler, not everyone wants a big air cooler hulking over their build and the TT one is more than capable, pretty, too.;)

Realistically with 2Tb already available I doubt you'll need more storage, but I'll suggest you either: Use the freebie Microsoft One Drive or Google Drive Cloud storage options rather than have a spinning HDD in the system or use a USB external drive for backup/extra local storage.

OK, I'm getting a little drunk here in the UK ( long week, time difference ;) ) but from what I can see a decent 750 Watt PSU will be far more than your planed system could ever get close to using, see here for the top tier PSUs: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

3nn10

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010

Of course even the tier 1 list has like 30 to chose from, gahhh

3nn10

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
So I have added the following for PSU/cooling:

Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 850W 80+ Platinum Smart Zero RGB Fan, SLI/Crossfire Ready Continuous Power, Full Modular ATX 12V 2.4/EPS 12V 2.92 Power Supply 10 Year Warranty PS-TPG-0850F1FAPU-1

Thermaltake Floe Triple Riing RGB 360 TT Premium Edition PWM TR4 AM4 LGA2066 Ready AIO Liquid Cooling System 360mm High Efficiency Radiator CPU Cooler CL-W158-PL12SW-A

Thermaltake Riing Plus 14 RGB TT Premium Edition 140mm Software Enabled Circular 12 Controllable LED Ring Case/Radiator Fan - Five Pack - CL-F057-PL14SW-A

2x Thermaltake Riing Plus 20 RGB TT Premium Edition Without Controller 200mm Software Enabled RGB 11 Blade Riing Case/Radiator Fan Single Pack CL-F070-PL20SW-A

I think that will be plenty to keep things cool for now, once I get everything inside the case I'll see what I need to add to batten up the hatches.

Any advice on the RTX2080 ti dilemma?

I haven't pulled the trigger on purchasing the above, so any advise prior to my clicking buy, let me know!

Thanks!

A little off topic but why not go the whole hog and opt for a custom WC loop? Several companies are already making RTX compatible full coverage blocks and a single 420x30mm top mounted radiator will cool all your parts in one go for the noise of 5 fans; Three for the rad and two 200mm intakes. The case is actually large enough to carry dual 480 rads in fact ( but that WOULD be silly) but if you're after a really clean look such a rad would neatly fill one of the top locations.

If the full WC loop ( and its attendant cost ) doesn't appeal or isn't part of your plans then all the parts you have listed look fine to me, personally I'm dead boring and wouldn't opt for so much RGB bling but that's just me being old and boring. ;) That said, I'd LOVE to see a pic or two of this system running, it's going to look truly spectacular!

As for the RTX issue: I'd wait and see, the GTX 1070 placeholder isn't a bad card so you don't really need to rush this decision.

If you can't wait for EVGA to release the card you want, there are plenty of other options but it depends on what you're actually after: Given your love of eye scorching RGB lighting ;) I'd look at the Gigabyte Aorus or similar, its cooler is a fine one being very cool and quiet while the card is already kitted out for RGB goodness.

Solution
May 5, 2019
So I have added the following for PSU/cooling:

Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 850W 80+ Platinum Smart Zero RGB Fan, SLI/Crossfire Ready Continuous Power, Full Modular ATX 12V 2.4/EPS 12V 2.92 Power Supply 10 Year Warranty PS-TPG-0850F1FAPU-1

Thermaltake Floe Triple Riing RGB 360 TT Premium Edition PWM TR4 AM4 LGA2066 Ready AIO Liquid Cooling System 360mm High Efficiency Radiator CPU Cooler CL-W158-PL12SW-A

Thermaltake Riing Plus 14 RGB TT Premium Edition 140mm Software Enabled Circular 12 Controllable LED Ring Case/Radiator Fan - Five Pack - CL-F057-PL14SW-A

2x Thermaltake Riing Plus 20 RGB TT Premium Edition Without Controller 200mm Software Enabled RGB 11 Blade Riing Case/Radiator Fan Single Pack CL-F070-PL20SW-A

I think that will be plenty to keep things cool for now, once I get everything inside the case I'll see what I need to add to batten up the hatches.

Any advice on the RTX2080 ti dilemma?

I haven't pulled the trigger on purchasing the above, so any advise prior to my clicking buy, let me know!

Thanks!
Hi,

How are you? Since you own the Thermaltake Flow Riing 360 RGB Plus, I thought I'll check with you if you can help.

I managed to fit the Thermaltake Floe ring plus on Thermaltake View 37 case but when I went to connect the AIO Water cooler to the controller, I realised the red cable on the USB connector had popped out. I am now not sure what port was it meant to go. If it is not too much of a pain, may I request you to kindly let me know the location for the red cable.
Image link:
View: https://imgur.com/YtbXyrV

Regards,
Anil