Fire Dept. Crashes Our OC Event

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Laugh. A manager has a right to be concerned, you would think you would need permits to have X amount of stored gas in any one place though. As long as they're permitted (have permits) I guess I don't see how anyone could complain. As a manager though, it is in your best interest to throw a ruckus rather than just assume it's ok. If a building does go up in flames it's your job on the line. Any building owner would want his people to watching out.

altazi

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
Nitrogen itself isn't dangerous, being a largely inert gas that makes up 78% of our atmosphere. Nitrogen doesn't "consume" oxygen; it merely displaces it when in a confined space. You could be asphixiated if you released substantial quantities of nitrogen into your confined surroundings without adequate ventilation.

radguy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Just another showing of how stupid and dumb people who don't know anything and just assume stuff can really be. Its one thing to ask questions its another to just assume the worst. To compare 8 liquid nitrogen tanks to chernobyl really really really sad. Sorry you guys had to endure that.

G

Hmmm... why wouldn't he trust them... If i was him, I would have said... if anything goes wrong... I place the blame on you... even though thats not how things work... thats what i would have done :D

G

lol really... watch there be a nuclear meltdown for some unknown region in the area... then we'll all feel like the moron

terror112

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2006
[citation][nom]scarchunk[/nom]"Clearly he was threatened by the size of our large, long, vessels."Clearly....[/citation]

HA! Made my day.

G

"Ignorance, the root and the stem of every evil." - Plato
All I can say is that at least the building owner came up to apologize in the end and hopefully learnt something new from the experience; e.g. that it is good to stick to your guns if you truly believe there is a problem, but to also do your homework thoroughly before throwing a haffy fit in public about something you know absolutely nothing about, which only really undermines your credibility and authority as a leader and has the nasty tendency of making you look very stupid :) Nice work guys!

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Very curious comments. A good example of herd mentality and resistance to authority, or more precisely, resistance to being questioned about your own knowledge. I didn't see any mention of safety briefings or the hazards of handling the Dewar or transport containers. The reaction and comments are very curious indeed.

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
This is bad planning from the OC event organizers. The organizers should have discussed this topic with the building manager and answer any safety question he had BEFORE the event. Maybe have a firefighter revise the nitrogen handling plan with the building manager and give the OK. That would have saved a lot of grief.

And to those calling the building manager stupid, I suppose you're well trained in reading the safety label on the side of the tank; and know the proper procedure to transport and store all sorts of hazardous materials.

G

Probably the guy mistook Liquid Nitrogen with Nitro fuel (or Nitrocellulose) for cars.
If you'd poor the latter on your computers probably there won't be no tom's hardware overclocking team anymore!
However,I'm glad you guys used the right stuff there! :)

G

Correction: Nitrocellulose is not the right term, Nitromethane is.
Me not being chemically minded took the wrong word..

malveaux

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
Heya,

That's great. I like that people went out of their way to argue for the sake of their insurance and potential property damage (looking out for their money) and got their faces slapped by some hardware geeks playing with chemicals. Eat it, corps.

Rock on OC's.

Cheers,

G

Quote from zerapio: "And to those calling the building manager stupid, I suppose you're well trained in reading the safety label on the side of the tank; and know the proper procedure to transport and store all sorts of hazardous materials."
--------
No, but if my only job in life was as a building manager you could rest assured I'd be familiar with some of the common gasses and their containment regulations

Status
Not open for further replies.