Fire on Motherboard

Jan 9, 2019
I have an aorus z390 and I have been messing around with the rgb functions with the fusion app. I had connected my 3 case fans which all share an RGB header to the RGB header on the motherboard and everything seemed fine. The fans defaulted to green and I went to change the color in the fusion app a few hours later. Once I selected the option to change the colors they started alternating and when they got to yellow I saw a flash thru my glass side panel and then a flame and smoke where the rgb header was. I quickly yanked the power cord and nearly had a stroke. After The smoke cleared I opened the case and found that a small transistor or fuse above the rgb header looked burned. I unplugged the rgb headers and turned the pc on and it seemed to work fine except for the 3 case fans being stuck on blue and flickering and the motherboard's rgb no longer working and the fusion app refusing to start. I got a new mobo just to be safe and RMA'd the old one. What could have caused this? bad case fans? the fact that 3 fans shared a single header port? the fusion software? I did just install a new thermaltake 850w psu that night so could it be that? Some reviews of it have people claiming it "fried their system" But this only occurred when I was cycling the colors of the fans and I am still using the same PSU and everything is working fine now. Here is a link to a pic of the damaged area. https://ibb.co/3WKtHkq

Solution
I think the three fans draw more than 2Amp from that rgb header, according to the manual (page 30) the header can only output 2Amp maximum power for the strip, you may or may not use for fan(s), but when you run three fans with rgb under the fusion app, they will draw more power so that they kill the rgb header.

Recommend to use the rgb controller if the fans come with one.
I think the three fans draw more than 2Amp from that rgb header, according to the manual (page 30) the header can only output 2Amp maximum power for the strip, you may or may not use for fan(s), but when you run three fans with rgb under the fusion app, they will draw more power so that they kill the rgb header.

Recommend to use the rgb controller if the fans come with one.

Solution