Question Fire TV Cube Stuck With PCM

Status
Not open for further replies.

captaincrowther

Honorable
Jan 29, 2018
I have just bought a Fire TV Cube and unlike the 4K Fire stick it replaced it is only outputting PCM audio. I just swapped it out connection wise, HDMI out on the device to HDMI in on my Sony str-dn1080 AVR, and HDMI ARC out to my LG

OLED65E6V.AEK​

TV.

Cube audio is set to best available.

So regardless of source or format, Disney Plus, Kodi, Atmos,

Dolby Digital Plus, everything is passed through as PCM 7.1 or 5.1 etc.​

Can anyone point me in the direction of properly decoded passthrough audio? It's one of the main reasons i bought it.

Or is it meant to be this way?, as I know PCM is uncompressed, is it there as a passthrough upgrade?

Last edited:
whats wrong with PCM? its lossless
direction of properly decoded passthrough audio
you meant encoded audio as you want your AVR to decode it instead of fire cube

passthrough is possible only for DTS, DTS-HD (basic codec) and dolby true HD (lossless 5.1)

edit: almost forgot, you have to setup passthrough in app settings, like you open kodi and change audio settings there

Last edited:

captaincrowther

Honorable
Jan 29, 2018
Okay i know what has confused me here. I popped my 4K stick back in and although it is also set to Best Available, it outputs DD+2 and not PCM. Because when i use Kodi and passthrough isn't working it outputs PCM, there is a negative association, i assumed the same was happening here. God i feel like such a newbie!

In both cases the stream that appears on my AVR display is preceded by the home screen audio, eg DD2+/Dolby Atmos. So i assume all is well and my AVR is merely showing the transition from one stream to the next? I have set the cube to DD+ instead of best available, and now it mirrors the behaviour of the 4K stick.

Should i leave it on DD+ or return it to best available?, or is it irrelevant?

Am i right in saying that Amazon have changed the default best available audio to PCM as an upgrade over DD+?
Did you mean in the cube settings?, this is for the input socket.

edit: almost forgot, you have to setup passthrough in app settings, like you open kodi and change audio settings there

Status
Not open for further replies.