Firecuda 2 TB vs WD Black 2 TB vs. Barracuda 2TB and 256 GB SSD

Alexis92

Honorable
Feb 16, 2014
TL;DR - Cant seem to pin point which would be the best option, done some research about it. Really unlucky on Western Digital, 2 broken drives, never had a Seagate. All 2 Terabyte variants, SSD only 240 to 256. Need help, budget of $145 ( P7,250 ) , live in the Philippines. Dont care about noise and warranty , more on performance and reliability. Also havent found an SSD, please do suggest one. ( Link Below where i can buy )

So im looking to replace my paper weight WD Blue 2tb 5400 RPM, with a much more reliable drive.

I have been unlucky with Western Digital , with a 2 tb Green breaking down in 2.5 years and my 2tb Blue in 1.25 years. I dont really care for noise, what i really need is speed and reliability, or which will last the longest based on failure rates.

Im going to give Seagate a try, although i have heard of their fail rates, but still put WD into consideration even if i had 2 of their drives fail. All of the drives put into conaideration are 2 TB. The Western Digital is the 2013 one, Seagate Firecuda Probably 2016, and same with Barracuda. Still havent chosen which SSD.

I have done some searching and i have heard that the Seagate SSHD ( ST2000DX002 ) is really great, it comes close to an SSD on certain times and benefits the most when i play the same game, which i do. Also heard its just as fast as the Black and Barracuda except when the flash NAND comes in to play. However i do hear that whenever the SSHD is defective, it becomes incredibly slow.

Also done some searching with the Black ( WD2003FZEX ) heard its better than a standard HDD, and will also benefit with loading times.i dont know how its dual processor benefits, and some said its noisy but i dont really care. I tried to compare it with the Firecuda and Barracuda but i cant seem to settle on one. I have heard that it fails by making a weird noise.

I have put the Barracuda/SSD into consideration, this ( ST2000DM006 ) feels like it will fail just the same, and the speed just the same. Although it does seem like the better option, but i have not settled on which SSD. The max capacity of an SSD that i will be able to purchase if i go with this option is 240 to 256 gb, or less.

Warranty doesnt matter, because i dont live in the US, i live in the Philippines, and cant take advantage of it. I only have a year warranty regardless of any drive , i have a small budget of $130.

http://dynaquestpc.com/product-category/components/harddisk-harddrive-storage-hdd-ssd-portable/harddisk-harddrive-storage-hdd-ssd-solid-state/?orderby=price

This is the site where i can buy. My budget for an SSD is P4,000 ( $80 , Philippine Peso ) my overall budget is P7,250 ( $145 ) i have not chosen which SSD so you can suggest because im clueless on what to pick lol. Maybe you can also suggest a Hard Drive.

Thanks.

Solution

Samsung 860 is a sata drive. It comes in both 2.5" and m.2 formats.
It is an updated and cheaper version of the 850 devices.
The PRO version...
I really recommend the WD black series has they have 5 years warranty.
I own several 500 gb - 1 tb and 2 tb and they all work flawlessly.
I have a couple of 500 gb that are more than 10 years old while 3-4 years old on computer that are on 24/7 most of the time.

In Canada the drives are about 40$ more but it is nice to have peace of mind about data.

Hello Alexis92. First of all, thank you for considering Seagate. After reading your post, and seeing the budget limit you have, there are several options for you.

1. HDD - Probably your best bet due to budget constraints. There are many brands out there that will do the job.
2. SSHD - A combination of Speed and Storage like the FireCuda could be an option but it is just over your budget.
3. SSD - Probably the best for speed and fast loading of games and applications. The BarraCuda SSD is within your budget. This drive wont become available until September in your area.

If you decide to buy the drive in the Philippines, these Seagate drives come with more than one year warranty regardless of the warranty the store has.

Let us know if we can answer any questions; we're here to help.

Here is a nice article on the WD "rainbow"
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Understanding-the-WD-Rainbow-674/

The advantage of WD black is for slightly better performance for a windows C drive.
For bulk sequential storage, something else might be belter.

I do not like the hybrid ssd/hdd options, the ssd part is not usually large enough to do some good.

I highly recommend a SSD for the windows C drive.
240gb should be the minimum.
Samsung is considered as more reliable and better performing. The Samsung 860 evo should be reasonably priced.

Alexis92

Honorable
Feb 16, 2014
I'm not able to directly reply to someone on mobile, but hopefully the response or questions are received.

@dextermat , warranty doesn't really matter but how are your 2 tb WD Black's doing? How long have u owned it? Are they fast?

@seagate_surfer , thanks for the info.

@geofelt ,
Sadly, a Samsung SSD here is really expensive, and the SSD im looking for is SATA since i will be buying for a 4th gen system, so isnt an 860 Pro M.2? I can only choose from a small array of SSD's so if u check the link only like 9 of them doesnt surpass my budget and 3 of them are probably the best option

Samsung 860 is a sata drive. It comes in both 2.5" and m.2 formats.
It is an updated and cheaper version of the 850 devices.
The PRO version will have longer endurance which is not a factor with today's ssd devices; particularly for 240gb and larger devices.

The 960/970 devices are the pcie nvme devices. They will come in the m.2 size format.

The benefit of a simple sata ssd for windows is huge.
There is small increase in value in the PRO and pcie devices , but only if you are not budget constrained

Solution