Question Firecuda ST2000LX001 SSHD has shorted, what are my options ?

Apr 11, 2023
I have had a 2.5" Firecuda ST2000LX001 SSHD fail on me while I was diagnosing a power issue with my PSU.

While turning the PC on to check the power I noticed a small amount of smoke coming from the hdd and it hasn't worked since. While I have since fixed the PSU issue, the computer will not power on at all with this SSHD connected. Having a closer look there is a small burn mark above what I'm picking is a diode (one situated just above the Sata power connectors) that has shorted (as evidenced by multimeter testing and a small burn mark on the piece of paper/film separating the PCB and the rest of the drive. I do have a donor PCB board but despite the manufacturing date being only 3 months between the two, the firmware is a slightly different revision. I would like to try and resolve this myself without having to fork out for professional help and don't intend to RMA this for another seagate drive (i.e. I wouldn't even use a free one going forward).

My questions then are as follows:

What are my best options here?

If I remove the diode, is it likely that I will be able to access the drive?

And if so, would there be any advantage to running the drive in a HDD dock?

Also any wisdom/help is appreciated.

Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I was diagnosing a power issue with my PSU
+
I have since fixed the PSU issue
Might want to list your entire build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
your issue might not be with the HDD's fizzling out, but that the PSU itself.

If I remove the diode, is it likely that I will be able to access the drive?
Mileage seen from data recovery as well as repair work will vary from one individual to the next, not to mention from device to device. if that's the only component you see that's blown, replace it, like for like but that's only after you've inspected the entire HDD's PCB and the blown component didn't take out PCB traces as well.

Apr 11, 2023
Thanks!

I replaced the old PSU (Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W) and the case (NZXT H500i) during this fix so my new build is now.

CPU : AMD Ryzen 3600 w/ stock cooler
Motherboard : Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
RAM : Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb x4
HDD1 : Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2
HDD2 : Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2
GPU : Nvidia 3600 ti
HDD3 : (New) Samsung 870 EVO SSD 2TB
New PSU : Corsair RM Series RM750X
New Case : Corsair 5000D

The SSD is now the only part that causes any issues. Connecting it prevents the computer from getting past the start screen (can't get into bios or anything) and removing it and/or swapping in the new 2tb SSD allows it to run without issue.

I should also add that I'm not super concerned about the data but just consumed by the challenge of getting it working. That said I am concerned about my other components if I run the HDD without its overvoltage protection.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2023
Replace the drive
Burned TVS diode has to be replaced or shorted.

I've already replaced the drive with a new one, kinda want to see if I can get it running as much as I want to recover whatever is on it.

Also I'm confused about what you mean in the second, I think the diode is shorted already which is why it is preventing the PSU from powering on.

Apr 11, 2023
My bad.
After removing TVS diode, you have to check if there's still a short.
If there are no other issues, then should be able to access data.

Cheers,

For all I know there could be many other issues but as they are likely beyond me at this stage (and given the balance of the stakes against any further investment of time) I might go down this line and see what happens.

I think I still like the idea of running the drive through a USB docking station if only to be able to see it close up and act quickly if it looks like there is going to be an issue. Not sure about the technical implications (if any) of that move though

TRENDING THREADS