Question Firefox 101 destroying my RAM in YouTube Studio ?

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
I use firefox browser 101 version on a latest build of Windows 10. Basically what happens here as far I noticed, firefox does not release ram its don't use. I been having RAM usage issues with this browser since years now. I now as ı writing this: I have a youtube video and tomshardware tab open, nothing else and a adblocker called ublock origin. My RAM use is this now: 720.98MB with only two tabs open and a addon. If ı open two youtube studio tabs, it reaches to almost 1,5GB and if I look like 10mins then it reaches to 2 and then 3GB ram usage. This is INSANE, I have 16GB total ram with a i7 CPU and a 6GB gpu memory. Things I tried:

-turn off/on hardware acceleration
-firefox fission is on by default
-refresh firefox
-clear startup cache
-deleted that .sq file from firefox directory
-completely removed firefox including from regedit which welcomed back me regardless
-updated NVIDIA gpu drivers with DDU in safe mode
-default mode of firefox without addons also uses same amount of ram with said tabs open

I been dealing with firefox ram problems for almost a decade now, I used it before Quantum update and way before. This NEVER got fixed and seems gets worse by each update. I do not want to switch that "highly popular" Google Chrome because I do love my humanity.

Is there anything left to try? I seen things on firefox reddit subforum that a mac user literally got out of memory error and crashed due to this specific problem. Why firefox never unloads and release unused memory? You may ask: "why do you afraid of this? 16GB is plenty" No it isn't, I cannot play RDR2 with firefox open at background. You may say "ram unused is wasted ram" I see that line so many times on Internet,

Please, any advice would be highly appreciated, I want to continue using firefox and this ruins my daily usage.

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
after it got to 3GB ram usage, when you close the 2 youtube studio tabs, did the ram usage stay high?
When I close one tab ram usage lowers a bit but none slight, it almost stays the same, plus it keep increasing regardless when I click, scroll down interact with the page. If I close two tabs entire firefox shuts down.

When I close one tab ram usage lowers a bit but none slight, it almost stays the same, plus it keep increasing regardless when I click, scroll down interact with the page. If I close two tabs entire firefox shuts down.
Then open a third tab that's not on YouTube Studio and close the second one. If it only happens while using YouTube Studio and the RAM usage goes down significantly after that, then it's a problem with that site.

I've been using Firefox for well over a decade and I've never run into a memory hogging problem unless I'm doing something dumb in the JavaScript console.

Reactions: rgd1101

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
Then open a third tab that's not on YouTube Studio and close the second one. If it only happens while using YouTube Studio and the RAM usage goes down significantly after that, then it's a problem with that site.

I've been using Firefox for well over a decade and I've never run into a memory hogging problem unless I'm doing something dumb in the JavaScript console.

Then it is something wrong with Google/YouTube website, I heard something related to site that Google being a dick and doesn't allow on Firefox, but like I said it happens most of the time and usually within youtube studio have MASSIVE ram problems, which is new layout and GUI, probably google related since google owns youtube.

There is plenty people on Internet having this issue with firefox for a long time, I guess your the lucky one buddy,

And a small correction here: it does not goes down "significantly", RAM usage within youtube stays almost the same, few MBs does not count for something in year of 2022. But then again, it is Google doing nasty stuff all over the place so probably forcing people to use Chrome, just like Microsoft did on Windows 10 before.

I will continue using firefox regardless, cheers

There is plenty people on Internet having this issue with firefox for a long time, I guess your the lucky one buddy,
Considering I've used Firefox on multiple computers with different software configurations and operating systems and don't have a problem with it, either I'm extremely lucky and should be really be called Tech Jesus for performing such a miracle, or people are making a stink out of a corner case that isn't something Mozilla can fix because as you mention, Google is being Google and not playing nice to browsers who don't identify as Chrome.

I mean, the thought of being an actual Tech Jesus is nice.

Oh a side rant, I hate it when people claim I'm somehow "lucky" because I don't have problems. If luck was really involved, then I would've seen a problem happen beyond my control and I've setup and used my computers over the years more or less the same. If luck was involved and the odds are in favor of people having problems, then again, either I'm an actual Tech Jesus for performing a miracle because I've never really had a problem, or I've found a more or less repeatable way of doing things that doesn't result in a problem. Which as a software developer who's had to investigate really weird issues, I prefer believing the latter is what's going on.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Screenshot of about: performance page in Firefox might help (note remove space after : in previous sentence, I had to put in space to avoid an emote)
Shame windows task manager doesn't know what tabs are what
wsD7Hyu.jpg

none of my figures match up between Windows task manager and the Firefox one.
the amounts a tab uses doesn't seem to match up with how much ram windows task manager goes up by when opening a new Youtube window.

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
Screenshot of about: performance page in Firefox might help (note remove space after : in previous sentence, I had to put in space to avoid an emote)
Shame windows task manager doesn't know what tabs are what
wsD7Hyu.jpg

none of my figures match up between Windows task manager and the Firefox one.
the amounts a tab uses doesn't seem to match up with how much ram windows task manager goes up by when opening a new Youtube window.

Man! I cannot even add more than two addons to my firefox due to RAM usage reaches to insane levels. Also same as in my performance tab, either I got braindead or firefox doing something else to require that much memory. I have ublock origin and enhancer for youtube (so I can finally stop that annoying autoplay videos) and nothing else. I have zero idea why it needs so much memory, as far as I remember, Chrome,Edge,Opera and Vivaldi share same engine and they use somewhat less RAM with same tabs open, again, not by a mile, but still nice to see browser uses less ram. Firefox on the other hand: magically uses 1,3GB with two or 3 tabs open.

By the way: that bitdefender and malwarebytes addons is any good? I was using Kaspersky anti banner however due to recent events I deleted it, I need something else to use, firefox protections are awesome however blocking things causing pages to respond slow. Which I should use bitdefender or malwarebytes addon in your pic or both?

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
Considering I've used Firefox on multiple computers with different software configurations and operating systems and don't have a problem with it, either I'm extremely lucky and should be really be called Tech Jesus for performing such a miracle, or people are making a stink out of a corner case that isn't something Mozilla can fix because as you mention, Google is being Google and not playing nice to browsers who don't identify as Chrome.

I mean, the thought of being an actual Tech Jesus is nice.

Oh a side rant, I hate it when people claim I'm somehow "lucky" because I don't have problems. If luck was really involved, then I would've seen a problem happen beyond my control and I've setup and used my computers over the years more or less the same. If luck was involved and the odds are in favor of people having problems, then again, either I'm an actual Tech Jesus for performing a miracle because I've never really had a problem, or I've found a more or less repeatable way of doing things that doesn't result in a problem. Which as a software developer who's had to investigate really weird issues, I prefer believing the latter is what's going on.

It is ok man, it is way too hot here due to summer and I sometimes get mad because of it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Which I should use bitdefender or malwarebytes addon in your pic or both?
i don't think you can get either for free.

i was going to suggest running a scan using https://www.hitmanpro.com/en-us but malwarebytes would do similar.
Something using too much ram.

Curious, how many videos do you have on Studio? I don't have any and yet my usage goes up about 150mb opening the screen

Firefox on the other hand: magically uses 1,3GB with two or 3 tabs open.
it can depend on what is on the 3 tabs, YouTube can sometimes balloon out. I often have about 2gb used by it.

I cannot play RDR2 with firefox open at background.
did you look at about performance as its built into Firefox. It might show something.

it could be worse - using 249gb of memory on Mac

Some of these migth help - https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-uses-too-much-memory-or-cpu-resources

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
i don't think you can get either for free.

i was going to suggest running a scan using https://www.hitmanpro.com/en-us but malwarebytes would do similar.
Something using too much ram.

Curious, how many videos do you have on Studio? I don't have any and yet my usage goes up about 150mb opening the screen

it can depend on what is on the 3 tabs, YouTube can sometimes balloon out. I often have about 2gb used by it.

did you look at about performance as its built into Firefox. It might show something.

it could be worse - using 249gb of memory on Mac

Some of these migth help - https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-uses-too-much-memory-or-cpu-resources

I have like above 50+ content on my youtube studio including videos and end screens on many of them. I did look the performance thing, almost same as yours, don't know what cause to use that much ram, for a few seconds opening youtube studio results in MASSIVE spike in power but that goes down after a second or two.

Yes, I did look also that firefox article, thats where I'm coming from,

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
try running hitman pro or malwarebytes and see if they find anything.
Bitdefender free is about as good as Kaspersky was but it doesn't include anti tracker add on, or at least, its not turned on. Have to pay to open it.

have you tried https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/

Man that's sucks, they closing down the bitdefender free edition, it seems have also news for you dude you will get a private email discount for upgrading to paid version , in your case you will get supported until june 30th. I guess I will be installing malwarebytes, no problem though I used malwarebytes since Windows 7 era, just have to make sure official source to download.

In case if your wondering https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/bitdefender-is-ending-its-free-antivirus

Yes I'm using ublock origin,

Colif

Win 11 Master

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
thats old news, they released a newer version of the free version

I have the paid version anyway. Free is same client as paid, only difference is what features are opened.

Ah I missed that, that is good, then I can use that too on my minor computers, good to know,