Firefox 16 Now Faster With Incremental Garbage Collection

Status
Not open for further replies.
meanwhile the latest version of Chrome is annoyingly unstable! Hopefully the update that was pushed through last night will help things, because otherwise I am seriously considering moving back to FF.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
A more optimized version of Firefox is Palemoon. I am using that. It has compiler optimizations to target new processor and CPU instructions. Also, the program is Profile-guided-optimised.
Think of Palemoon as Overclocked Firefox. :)

Menigmand

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
But when will they make scrolling work (by trackpad or arrow keys) while watching a youtube video or other flash? The flash captures the controls, breaking the scroll. Can't believe I'm the only one with that problem?

If I met that girl, I would ask her.

[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]meanwhile the latest version of Chrome is annoyingly unstable! Hopefully the update that was pushed through last night will help things, because otherwise I am seriously considering moving back to FF.[/citation] I already moved back to FF since is faster and very stable.
I don't know what's going on at Google but Chrome has become an unstable piece of sh!t.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]meanwhile the latest version of Chrome is annoyingly unstable! Hopefully the update that was pushed through last night will help things, because otherwise I am seriously considering moving back to FF.[/citation]
What? What version? I'm using 22.0.1229.92 m and have had no probs...

Botia

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Chrome has become unstable and Firefox has issues with Flash. These shorter release schedules are nice for getting new features out, but the regression testing does not seem to be there. Every month or so I end up switching browsers to avoid bugs that significantly impact me. At this point I'd prefer a stable build and stick with it for 6 months. Some kudos to IE. While not quite as nice as Chrome or Firefox, it has caught up significantly and has had fewer issues like this.

Botia

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
What? What version? I'm using 22.0.1229.92 m and have had no probs...

Version 22.0.1229.92 m crashes daily on me. Also the install is flaky. It's a pain when setting up a Windows computer with standard user accounts. The install only runs as admin and only sets up stuff for one user, which is sometimes the admin account that it was run under. Also a pain to install on Windows Server with IE's enhanced security configuration. Finally gave up and installed firefox.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Every Firefox release I give it another chance, and every release I'm let down by how bad it is at staying snappy vs Chrome and Opera. I use a lot of tabs and when loading a few in the background, Firefox slows waay down while Chrome and Opera are still ready to do whatever. I want Firefox to be good, I love how it renders fonts and hate the chunky font of Chrome. But the UI delays are the killer for me. You can win all the benchmarks in the world Mozilla, it's the perception that counts.

vittau

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
[citation][nom]Menigmand[/nom]But when will they make scrolling work (by trackpad or arrow keys) while watching a youtube video or other flash? The flash captures the controls, breaking the scroll. Can't believe I'm the only one with that problem?If I met that girl, I would ask her.[/citation]It annoys me too, but unfortunately it's not Mozilla's fault that the Flash plug-in steals focus as soon as it appears.
If Mozilla tries to work-around this issue, they'll probably end up doing more harm than good (because they have no direct control over the Flash plug-in).

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]vittau[/nom]It annoys me too, but unfortunately it's not Mozilla's fault that the Flash plug-in steals focus as soon as it appears.If Mozilla tries to work-around this issue, they'll probably end up doing more harm than good (because they have no direct control over the Flash plug-in).[/citation]
Why does it only happen in Firefox then?

[citation][nom]Menigmand[/nom]But when will they make scrolling work (by trackpad or arrow keys) while watching a youtube video or other flash? The flash captures the controls, breaking the scroll. Can't believe I'm the only one with that problem?If I met that girl, I would ask her.[/citation]

It happens to me too and it's just another nail in the coffin of its usability. It's really annoying.

snemarch

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
[citation][nom]Menigmand[/nom]But when will they make scrolling work (by trackpad or arrow keys) while watching a youtube video or other flash? The flash captures the controls, breaking the scroll. Can't believe I'm the only one with that problem?If I met that girl, I would ask her.[/citation]Avoid flash. Flash is the mind-killer. Flash is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my flash, I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the flash has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

But yes, it's a bug that appears me too - it might very well be the retardo flash plugin that captures the keys, but Chrome handles it properly... and I like to keep Java and Flash out of my main (and foxy) browser, it's easy to live with Chrome for flash, and a panzered linux VM for Java :)

headscratcher

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
The way this article read in my brain:

Mozilla's Firefox boobies hit version 69 today, bringing with tits a new feature called incremental cleavage collection. Mozilla said that he has jerked on these major features for over a year and that it will improve breast in erection as jugs and melons.

vittau

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
[citation][nom]tipoo[/nom]Why does it only happen in Firefox then?[/citation]Internet Explorer does it too, and probably Opera.

Maybe Chrome doesn't do it because the plug-in comes integrated and they have better control over it, or maybe you just have HTML5 test mode active ( http://www.youtube.com/html5 ).

It only happens after you clicked something on the plug-in though, such as volume, pause, seek...
You can't expect your browser to steal focus back by itself. What if you needed focus? (as in a Flash game for instance)

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]Botia[/nom]Chrome has become unstable and Firefox has issues with Flash. These shorter release schedules are nice for getting new features out, but the regression testing does not seem to be there. Every month or so I end up switching browsers to avoid bugs that significantly impact me. At this point I'd prefer a stable build and stick with it for 6 months. Some kudos to IE. While not quite as nice as Chrome or Firefox, it has caught up significantly and has had fewer issues like this.[/citation]
Welcome to the era of release first, fix bugs later. Sadly, almost all software follows this pattern these days...

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]therabiddeer[/nom]Welcome to the era of release first, fix bugs later. Sadly, almost all software follows this pattern these days...[/citation]

Including our beloved Opera, but only with v12. That taught them a lesson.

[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]What? What version? I'm using 22.0.1229.92 m and have had no probs...[/citation]
Keep in mind. Lots of tabs, and synced over several computers (5-6?). I am sure it is fine for normal use, and after the update last night I have not had a single crash (yet) so hopefully they fixed it. Still, they seem to be falling behind the FF machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.