Firefox 18 Arrives, Available for Download Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Opera 11.62 as my main browser (12.12 is ...eh) and Firefox as my second browser. Maxthon 4 would also be a good second browser. Chrome...meh

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
as much as i like firefox the more versions they come out wit the smaller the changes are becoming. they shouldn't just throw out new versions forthe sake of putting out a new version unless there are lot changes. Some of these new features could have been added on via update of the same version.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
[citation][nom]amdwilliam1985[/nom]Firefox used to be my main browser, now it's just a backup for my chrome. sigh...Keep up the good work, Mozilla.[/citation]seriously?? Chrome...ugh

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
well Firefox is great, but when I saw anew major version, I expected something new, not just a minor update

opera is better, I currently switch between both constantly, IE is my backup browser, safari is an apple product, buggy and eats my memory

and I'm trying to boycott google (except youtube) because of their recent evil activities, and after the FTC said they didn't do nothing

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
I understand why some people criticize Mozilla for having followed Google in making slight upgrades into a whole new version number, even though, at the end of the day, what really matters, more than numbers for the tech savvy, is the features / performance / bug fixes in the new version, but, anyway, as I was saying, that criticism is not suited this time around. Firefox 18 has a new JavaScript compiler, that, together with the other improvements, makes it deserve a new full version number.

hitman400

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
[citation][nom]bugidugi[/nom]got a better solution? unfortunately ( coz i didn't really want to move to Chrome) it is the fastest browser that exist . Will be glad to prove me wrong and move to something else .[/citation]

Ya I remember, when it used to be too. But just because one thing was faster at one point in time, doesn't mean it will be forever. Since Firefox 17 and now 18, they have claimed that it is 18 - 21% faster than Chrome. And plus, with Adblock Plus for Firefox, I'm surprised that people on youtube still complain they have to sit through ads nowadays when Adblock plus blocks those ads, including all, too.

makaveli316

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
I was also i big fan of Firefox, but i had to change to Chrome and i find it better.
I never thought i would change to Chrome, i used to hate it actually.
Plus, all the talking that Chrome isn't customizable as much as Firefox is just a myth.
Google did a great job at catching up...

P.S What is wrong with Firefox? It takes 2 seconds to start when i click on it, while Chrome starts instantly. I'm with a Samsung 830 ssd by the way...

wishtar

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
With Mozilla's rapid release schedule I couldn't remember what version of Firefox I was on. Checking the Firefox About box triggered an update so now I'm on 18. Yeah!!

nurgletheunclean

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
There's a lot to like about Firefox. Opera is still my primary browser. But there's reason for an assortment. I like opera for it's bigger feature set out of the box, tabs on the left, cloning tabs, etc. Chrome can't be beat for Google's sites like YouTube, gmail, etc. Firefox just plain works, for most sites, things like online banking, online shopping, etc, Firefox rarely lets me down always rendering the page correctly, cookie/session handling, handling referrals, downloads, etc. IE is unsurpassed for things like outlook web access, sharepoint, and the plethora of other Microsoft sites and Services. I don't have and interest in Apple material but I bet it's safe to assume all Apple stuff runs better on Safari.

While I like the Idea of using a single browser for everything, using that mentality is only going to limit your web experience. I like to think of browsers as shortcuts to different sites. Sure, windows media player can open an AVI file, but I'll associate AVIs with MPC-HC or Zoom player instead. Using this approach for websites is going to be better in the long run, because face it, as long as browser companies are creating web content there will always be preferential treatment for thier browsers.

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Firefox 18 has apparently resolved an intermittent issue with SafeBrowsing ('Reported Attack Site') where a cleaned website would continue to throw warnings (thus steering traffic away) for weeks after the site issue was resolved. Other browsers (Chrome, IE, etc.) apparently had no similar issue.

snwkill

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
My problem, and why I switched, is because Firefox would blank out drop downs when it was on my secondary monitor when using hardware acceleration.

It is just easier to switch browsers...

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
Since version 16 FF has been having a few crashes with specific websites with Flash, mostly those with search features in Flash. But Chrome's productivity issues are hard to tolerate, so I use it only with those websites that give Flash a hard time. Chrome also lacks very important easy access to controlling whether or not content is downloaded, opened or displayed. Not so sure FF18 will resolve those issues.

wlachan

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Bah bah bah... and it still freezes + going background by itself (cause of double click problem) for the last 3 updates. I love FF but it's dying.

[citation][nom]Hellbound[/nom]I predict 18.0.1 will be out soon to fix some security hole they forgot..lol[/citation]

That sort of thing happens to all web browsers and much more. It's not much of a prediction when it points out the obvious, seemingly in a way to paint it as a flaw of Firefox alone despite it being a pretty much universal flaw in popular software.

Status
Not open for further replies.