Firefox 19 in Beta, Built-in PDF Reader, More ARMv6 Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
PDF.js is available on Firefox 18 already. Disable your installed PDF reader plugin, go to about:config and search for pdfjs.disabled and set it to false. Done.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
Very nice. I never liked viewing PDF files not just because of PDF vulnerabilities, but also the time it took to start loading them from a browser

Supercrit

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
[citation][nom]susyque747[/nom]Built in PDF reader, Oh you mean Safari on my Mac has been doing for years, like that right.[/citation]
Do you need a pair of hipster glasses with that?

@susyque747: Safari on Mac displays PDFs by using OS X's PDF viewing infrastructure - it calls stuff (the PostScript engine) that runs outside the browser, and which is actually central to the system, thus critical and sensitive to exploits (as it was done time and time again on Mac). PDF.js runs internally to the browser and makes use of the browser's capability to render the PDF, without ever getting out of the browser's sandbox.

Don't be an iTard.

acerace

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
[citation][nom]Supercrit[/nom]Do you need a pair of hipster glasses with that?[/citation]

Generalise stupidly retarded hipsters with Mac user. Way to go kiddo.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]dextermat[/nom]+1 With all the news about adobe and java vulnerabilities, I don't think I want them integrated in firefox.[/citation]
PDF is an open standard and this plugin has nothing to do with Adobe (this isn't Flash) as for Java I'm not even sure where you got that since nothing Java is being integrated at all.

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
[citation][nom]acerace[/nom]Generalise stupidly retarded hipsters with Mac user. Way to go kiddo.[/citation]
That's Tom's Hardware for you, and probably the rest of the Internet.

ibnmuhammad

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
[citation][nom]vilenjan[/nom]Ohh you mean snail slow safari? right.[/citation]

One of the most ignorant comments... especially on a tech site.
As a developer, well actually everyone should know, Safari has been the benchmark for speed for a long time... Firefox js processing has only recently caught up with Safari.

Also... what do you Apple-haters think Google Chrome is built on?
Any guesses?

... Apple's WebKit engine - i.e. Safari.

That's right, besides stealing Android from Apple, they ripped-off the heart of Safari and re-skinned it and called it 'Chrome'... then spent billions to promote Google's spyware browser.

ibnmuhammad

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
[citation][nom]NightLight[/nom]i've had it with firefox... as a dev i have to test in all browser, and there's always one with problems and that's ff.[/citation]

That's one of the strangest things coming from a developer.

If you've done any amount of standards-based development, you'll quickly come to realise Firefox is the first browser us devs use to build web apps and sites, particularly with the Firebug addon, which has made development immenseley easier for us!

Since firebug, Safari, IE, and Opera have gone on to release their own integrated development tools, but still nothing compares to developing in Firefox.

Unless... if you build for IE first, then of course, all other browsers (Gecko/WebKit/Opera) will appear broken, so devs tend to start with Firefox (which mostly ensures compatilibty with other standards-based engines (Safari/Opera) and write hacks for IE later.

srap

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
[citation][nom]ibnmuhammad[/nom]One of the most ignorant comments... especially on a tech site.As a developer, well actually everyone should know, Safari has been the benchmark for speed for a long time... Firefox js processing has only recently caught up with Safari. Also... what do you Apple-haters think Google Chrome is built on?Any guesses?... Apple's WebKit engine - i.e. Safari. That's right, besides stealing Android from Apple, they ripped-off the heart of Safari and re-skinned it and called it 'Chrome'... then spent billions to promote Google's spyware browser.[/citation]
And that "Apple" Webkit has nothing to do with JS, (last time I checked, Webkit was still a layout engine, not JS): Chrome uses V8 as it's JS engine, Safari uses JavaScriptCore.
Also, Webkit went open-source back in 2005-6, got used up in Chromium, and that became the base of Chrome. ATM, Google is an active developer of it, and saying that it was stolen is nothing but a lie.

[citation][nom]ibnmuhammad[/nom]text[/citation]
He may be one of those webkit-prefixers.

ibnmuhammad

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
It's not only JS processing which has been exceptionally fast in Safari, but the main rendering engine (AppleWebKit) has also been a benchmark.

That's primarily where Chrome get's its speedup.

Granted, Google built v8, but javascript processing isn't everything, as Opera has shown - i.e. Opera's JS engine used to be comparibly slower (as was IE), but the rendering engine is extremely fast, thus the impression of a much faster browser.

BWMerlin

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
So with Microsoft Office 2013 and now Firefox able to handle pdf's and flash on it's death bed Adobe must be getting a little worried that their products are getting more and more irrelevant. Lets hope the next browser plugin that is replaced is Java.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]ibnmuhammad[/nom]It's not only JS processing which has been exceptionally fast in Safari, but the main rendering engine (AppleWebKit) has also been a benchmark.That's primarily where Chrome get's its speedup.Granted, Google built v8, but javascript processing isn't everything, as Opera has shown - i.e. Opera's JS engine used to be comparibly slower (as was IE), but the rendering engine is extremely fast, thus the impression of a much faster browser.[/citation]

So....Chrome is like 75% of Opera's rendering performance and 75% of IE10 js performance.

I don't know. Between all the browsers out now, Opera 12.12 and IE10 seem to be the fastest at rendering a site (or more). I'm talking about real-life usage.

Honestly, to me, Opera has almost always led (losing at times to Chrome, and to IE9, when it was launched) in rendering speed.

ibnmuhammad

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
[citation][nom]Cryio[/nom]So....Chrome is like 75% of Opera's rendering performance and 75% of IE10 js performance.I don't know. Between all the browsers out now, Opera 12.12 and IE10 seem to be the fastest at rendering a site (or more). I'm talking about real-life usage.Honestly, to me, Opera has almost always led (losing at times to Chrome, and to IE9, when it was launched) in rendering speed.[/citation]

Agreed :)

In terms of real-use impression, Opera has always been extremely fast on Windows (despite not always having the fastest JS engine), and (I hate to say it) as was IE4/5/6 - compared to Netscape and early Mozilla and Firefox.

But on Mac, it's been Safari.

I guess it's a bit like AMD/Intel - Intel beats almost all benchmarks, but in real-world usage, AMD's CPU's are still amazing performers.

randomizer

Champion
This thing is terrible. It spits out some of the most awful HTML I've ever seen and with a large enough document it grinds the browser to a halt. Try reading some of the Android documentation with it. Each character is a separate DIV (even whitespace), so you end up with a HTML document with tens of thousands of elements each with their own CSS transformations.

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
This is very neat of Firefox.
Very pragmatic and useful.
With support for video and audio you can use Firefox as a media player (Just open files on your hard drive.) And now as a document viewer.

@randomizer
That's really inefficient of them. +1 for some necessary improvements.

Maybe they could extend document viewing capabilities to opendocument format:

There is already a project using javascript to achieve this:

Status
Not open for further replies.