Question Firefox consuming ssd space randomly after updating Windows 10 in the last few days.

Aug 14, 2019
Over the last few days I've noticed that my SSD was filling up without me downloading anything, I've run virus scans, checked the health of the SSD to find no issues, then today I closed Firefox and checked File Explorer to see the space had returned. Have no idea why Firefox is now consuming space and nothing I've tried has worked, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aug 14, 2019
Just downloaded it to give it a try, first scan showed only 5 potentially unwanted programs, quarantined and removed them. Have not tried the link yet as hoping I don't need to clear cookies or data.

Colif

Win 11 Master
are you running any add ons in firefox?

at the very least you should use Ublock Origin, it would block most ads and also stop you going to any sites that might load malware

its unusual for it to use storage space on drive, and not ram instead.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The maximum browser storage space is dynamic — it is based on your hard drive size. The global limit is calculated as 50% of free disk space. In Firefox, an internal browser tool called the Quota Manager keeps track of how much disk space each origin is using up, and deletes data if necessary.

So if your hard drive is 500 GB, then the total storage for a browser is 250 GB. If this is exceeded, a process called origin eviction comes into play, deleting an entire origin's worth of data until the storage amount goes under the limit again. There is no trimming effect put in place to delete parts of origins — deleting one database of an origin could cause problems with inconsistency.

There's also another limit called group limit — this is defined as 20% of the global limit, but it has a minimum of 10 MB and a maximum of 2 GB. Each origin is part of a group (group of origins).

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US.../Browser_storage_limits_and_eviction_criteria

I don't see a way to alter the storage limits

did malwarebytes help?

Shame its not high cpu or ram - https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/task-manager-tabs-or-extensions-are-slowing-firefox

not sure if this will help - https://rooturaj.com/technology/fir...-usage-100-99-and-slowing-down-windows-10-87/

Aug 14, 2019
Dunno yet, just restarted to remove all the stuff from malwarebytes scan, still showing my ssd space is dropping was at 14.9gb upon restart, at 14.6 currently. Of which chrome didn't give back any space after closing it before restart, while Firefox did. I just cannot figure out what is going on.

D

Deleted member 14196

If you’re accumulating tons of cookies and data and then it makes sense especially if you never clear them out

Aug 14, 2019
Would vary the long it was on, two days ago I left for a few hours and came back to 10gb eaten up. The ssd is small, a 120gb one that came when purchased the pc. Currently from reboot of 14.9 am at 14.2 now.

D

Deleted member 14196

And the difference between those two numbers looks like your cookies and data

You probably need more storage space as mentioned above

Colif

Win 11 Master
Is it only drive in PC? 120gb okay if you have another hdd in PC to put most the data on - but really, you should think about getting a 250 at bare minimum.

We know its firefox but this might give more of a clue as to what else is using data - https://windirstat.net/

DO you use any torrent websites? some websites could use the data to run uploads/downloads through, but I guess you would notice in the internet usage chart as well.

Aug 14, 2019
There's a 1tb hard drive also in the pc, but I've been running well below 15gb for months, all that changed was I updated a few days ago and this space issue started. I use utorrent, but I've not used it for weeks or have anything downloading/uploading there,

USAFRet

Titan
You have 10GB consumed with pagefile and hibernation
You have 21GB in .mp4 and .mov files
17GB in .gif and .jpg

That's almost 1/2 of your drive right there.

In your WinDirStat, narrow down to the /Users/ folder. What exactly is in that 55GB?

Colif

Win 11 Master
your ssd might run faster too with more free space

I only have windows + any applications that would need to be reinstalled with windows, on my ssd. Probably gone a little far, I normally have over 160gb free. I have moved all library folders, all steam games. Onedrive folder, everything I can run off hdd, I do.