Question Firefox consuming ssd space randomly after updating Windows 10 in the last few days.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 14, 2019
Over the last few days I've noticed that my SSD was filling up without me downloading anything, I've run virus scans, checked the health of the SSD to find no issues, then today I closed Firefox and checked File Explorer to see the space had returned. Have no idea why Firefox is now consuming space and nothing I've tried has worked, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i will use firefox all day tomorrow as I usually watch a lot of videos and see if my storage space changes while I am using it

i only found 1 person with anything similar. It was the reddit link from before. So its hard to find clues to use to search for an answer

Colif

Win 11 Master
did you clean install win 10 on new ssd? maybe it was the update that caused it then and its not doing it now?

with so much free space now, it shouldn't really matter if it expands during use and gives it back on shutdown.

Aug 14, 2019
After having my ssd lose almost 40gb randomly, I tried a program called spacesniffer and ran it as admin after closing firefox, I was around 308 before closing firefox, after firefox closed was at 328gb, after rebooting was at 340. But I noticed after checking the space sniffer before and after resetting that something called pagefile.sys was 29.1gb before resetting and 19gb after resetting, that probably the cause of the eaten space?

USAFRet

Titan
Absolutely the pagefile will do this.
It is not a function of Firefox, but rather Windows.

How much RAM do you have in this system? You can probably change the pagefile settings to something more reasonable, that doesn't go up and down all the time.