Question Firefox ESR 60.6.1 disabled all of my add-ons during browsing

aor999

Honorable
Jun 28, 2017
Hello:
Several min ago, during browsing, Firefox ESR 60.6.1 suddenly decided to disable all of my add-ons (Which are all Webextensions), and put them in the "Legacy add-ons" without doing anything:
Firefox-ESR-disabled-all-of-my-add-ons.png

Trying to manually reinstall the add-ons from their files in the Firefox profile, leads to an error message: "This add-on could not be installed because it appears to be corrupt".
Trying to re-download the add-ons from Mozilla extensions shop, leading to an error message: "Download failed. Please check your connection":
Firefox-ESR-can-t-download-extensions-at-all.png

What I can do? Are other experience this bug?

Last edited:

mangaman

Honorable
Many people, including myself, have been having having this issue. Mozilla knows about it and is working on a fix. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1548973

To temperately enable your extensions, go to C:\Users\Yourname\Appdata\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\YourFirefoxProfileName\extensions. On the very bottom of the extensions folder will be your extensions on an XPI file format. Example would be uBlock0@raymondhill(dot)net(dot)xpi. Copy the ones you absolutely need such as Ublock Origin, to your desktop. Now to go about:debugging for firefox and click on load temporary extension. Click on the uBlock Origin XPI file or any XPI file you copied to your desktop, and click open. It should load in firefox. Your settings should be saved to your profile, so you won't need to reconfigure your extensions.

Note, THIS IS TEMPORARY, meaning once you close firefox, the extension will go away. Of course you can reload the debugging page and reload the extension again, but you'll do this every time you start up firefox.

Honestly, this issue should have never happened. Mozilla screwed up pretty badly!

aor999

Honorable
Jun 28, 2017
Thanks you so much. It looks like a global issue, and that I was one of the first to encounter this problem. No one here in Israel knows about this problems, as there are no results about this problem in Hebrew at all.

Tanyac

Reputable
This certificate issue has apparently been resolved and fixes can be implemented by turning on studies.
(Privacy and security, Allow Firefox to install and run studies). The Addons should NOT be deleted/removed (unless you do so manually).

Mozilla are working on a general solution that does not require studies to be enabled. If you do enable them you disable them later.

You can also see if you have the xpinstall.signatures.required about:config option and temporarily set it to false and the addons will work again.

This issue has been reported on dozens of news sites), and more information about workaraounds can be found on ghacks.com