Firefox JägerMonkey JavaScript Engine Beats IE9

Status
Not open for further replies.

crossbow82

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
I'd use it just because it's called JägerMonkey... that and it's Friday. No but really, that's awesome to see continual browser improvements from various companies. I'm all for it.

jomofro39

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
JägerMonkey, that is the best name I have ever heard. I hope other companies follow suit and we soon see a SvedkaApe, PatronGorilla, and whole hoard of CaptainMorganOrangutans. But seriously, here's to good competition upping the ante, once again.

G

be nice if you omit IE8 from the first chart seeing as it makes it harder visually to discern the actually difference between the other browsers, seriously you added an extra 4000 grades just for 1 browser.......

willgart

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
Javascripting is not everything on a site. there is other component to consider. so fighting all the time just on this doesn't represent the reality.

its like a CPU or a GPU, until you do comprehensive tests using different games or applications, you don't know which one is better.
Also, having the fastest browser in the world mean nothing if the web server can't provide the right speed! (and your ISP too)

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
So you're telling me a Beta browser is better than another Beta browser? Not much to be excited about... for now. I'll be glad to read the same benchmarks once they actually go live.

And I also hop on the naming bandwagon. Everything is better when it has a kickass name. I'll use anything with Ninja, Shark or Jack Daniels in it.

azetec

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
Dropping support of CPU's without SSE2 would be a bad idea since I still use an old PC with an Athlon XP CPU which has only SSE 1 support, and no SSE 2 support, and no money to buy a new one, help please

ventond

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
"Mozilla currently considers dropping support for browsers that do not support Intel
’s SSE2."

heh? Since when does Mozilla support browsers? Support processors perhaps?

Dameon_Bananaman

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
without sounding like a complete twat but ffs its just a web browser. i dont care how many ms it loads a page up quicker or whatever. if i can see a webpage and it dnt take too long loading up im happy!

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Indeed. I don't care about millisecond differences in speed. I use a browser based on features, security, interface, and most importantly W3C standards compliance. Probably the only performance aspect I'd care about is how much memory a browser uses.

kilthas_th

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
I know most don't care about beta browsers, but it's interesting for some of us to see them put a JägerMonkey into cyberspace.

WarraWarra

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
LOL IE6 was faster than most of my 3.6.3 to 3.6.8 versions of firefox with 3.6.5 being so slow you could barely call it a browser more like a snail petrified and stuck in the same place.

4.0B4 was decent just hated the stupid right click 2nd option opening a new window instead of used to new tab.

Irritating that I have to get add-ons to block spyware from google and other sites that I would never visit and that loads 90% of what I do not want in my browser experience. The website owners do not get enything out of it so why torture me with 90% of what is not on or related to the website I want to look at ?

4.0B4
I don't like the Tab monkeying around junk if the have a classic appearance and leave the Vista / win7 ugly tabness out then sure I woudl use it. I literally wanted to beat my pc with a hammer and never use a pc again after 4.B4 tab + right click stupidity.

Using K-Meleon java bugs / issues and all but fast just like good old Firefox 1.* and 2.*

Is there any reason why a web browser needs to have a size of 8mb and use upto 127mb ram just to type this message ????
Damn not even my poorly coded online ubisoft games use as much ram as firefox based or firefox 3.6* versions !

Why not keep firefox as a webbrowser and not a bull****er loader like itunes and then load modules / add-ons as extra junk by the users intervention.

Mozilla stop smoking pot and get back to a web browser not a junk bloatware slow as snot loader.

jgv115

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
I'm using Beta 5 atm. It's probably just me but I don't notice a difference in speed between stable and beta versions of Firefox.

I chose browsers by features, I can barely notice the speed. So Firefox has addons, it wins.

randomizer

Champion
This will bring the Linux version up to speed of the Windows version of 3.6.9. Quite sad really. If you compile your own 64-bit PGO build of Firefox it's alot faster than any of the garbage most Linux distros package, or even when the "official" Mozilla builds are. It's a shame that all the focus goes into optimisations on Windows, but that's what quasi-monopoly positions get you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts