Firefox Leads Other Browsers With New Tracking Protection For Private Browsing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
considering MS's new "track EVERYTHING" policy i'd be willing to bet that little feature is somehow missing from the new browser that replaced IE.

considering google is the king of tracking and selling user data, i doubt chrome or anything else related to google will ever see any kind of privacy features such as these. sure there are add-ons for some of the other browsers but it's nice to know someone is actually working on native built in features to help protect users.

way to go FF. i still use it and look forward to seeing what this new feature can do.

Considering that Edge is 10 exclusive and 10 is not taking over the massive market share yet it is not as relevant since most people still use IE is they use a MS browser.

It is not in Edge but then again Edge it a HTML5 only browser with limited Flash support (due to backwards compatibility).

However IE11 is still in Windows 10 and I still use it for certain things since Edge still has some kinks.

Good to see Mozilla folks continuing the fight against Google and MS for tracking and selling our private info. And while I expect MS Browser (Edge / IE) prolly take scare of the web activity tracking, I'm anxious to see how they can report the contents on your HDs ... and, of course, how that can be blocked.

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
This Firefox is the slowest. Memory balloons to over a gig (not really a problem for my 16gb system) but firefox slows down to a crawl and I just have to shut it down and start it again.

I haven't experienced that. Systems is on it's 3rd day since last reboot, firefox been open whole time with about 10 hours of usage each day and I'm at 740MB. I generally max out at about 12 tabs and, if anything, it's snappier than v41. I have privacy on and adblocker addon enabled

ChronosVRdS

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2014
This Firefox is the slowest. Memory balloons to over a gig (not really a problem for my 16gb system) but firefox slows down to a crawl and I just have to shut it down and start it again.
Not even near the amount of memory consumed by chrome! I use both and with an average of 15 tabs per browser, at this moment the "stats for nerds" of chrome shows:
Chrome: 1,738,002k Firefox: 446,944k

gangrel

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2012
Had to wait til today; it just showed up in the Ubuntu repo updates. Using it for this. Hard to say for sure, but it definitely seemed to load the front page here faster. And if it's smaller, that will be nice. I'd moved away from FF; it seemed more bloated. But if this reduces memory footprint, I'll use it again.

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007

I have multiple tab groups with 200+ tabs. Not really a problem for firefox 41, but it became unusable in 42. I had to downgrade to 41 to continue surfing. I'll check 43+ when it ships. 42 would use 2gb of ram on a single long page loaded and slow down so I cant even close that tab or change it. 41 works as expected now.

Status
Not open for further replies.