Firefox OS Phones Available for Developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truckinupga

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
Although I am a big Firefox browser fan and it has always been my preferred browser, The new Firefox OS to my opinion is clearly not ready for prime time. I have seen better proprietary OS's that offered more, And from what I have seen of the upcoming Ubuntu mobile OS, There is a lot Firefox could learn from it.

digiex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Well, there are to many mobile OS already, but what the heck, if this will make smartphone cheaper and have more user control over their content, then so be it.

caspy7

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012

Well, it is definitely still under construction. 1.0.1 and 1.1 are being developed atm. I suspect many release areas will never see the .0 release. By the time it reaches the US next year it'll probably be several updates in. Beyond being more polished it will run on better hardware. Am I saying it will be a smashing success? No, but it should be much better than its current state. I'm curious to see where it goes.

Unless your phone has a way to plug into a larger environment, there is not much of a future for it.
Windows Phone and win8 are merging closer and closer with each release. Both are far from perfect, but they have a game plan and they are beginning to execute it.
iOS and OSX are at an odd spot right now, but they will begin to merge as soon as Apple gets some leadership.
Android and ChromeOS are now under the same umbrella and both will be undergoing some major unification changes over the next few years.
Ubuntu is not yet released, but the video concept demos that I have seen of it are phenomenal, and should be what every smart phone OS should be looking to do.
Meanwhile there is BB10 and Firefox OS. These are both perfectly fine OSs in their own right, but there is no future for them in a world where your phone becomes a key component of your larger technology experience.

g-unit1111

Titan
I pretty much use the Firefox browser exclusively, I'll never go back to Internet Explorer. I occasionally use Google Chrome for the foreign websites I visit. But it will be really interesting to see how Firefox stacks up to Android.

Status
Not open for further replies.