[SOLVED] Firefox Starts at start up all of a sudden in Win 10

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
As the title says, suddenly Firefox starts on startup. It randomly opens the last session or just a blank window. Once or twice with the added tab of the microsoft help page. What could cause this? A Win10 or Firefox update?

Solution
Personally, I think it's probably the result of the new feature of 1903 that allows the system to start again where you left off being wonky.

I have discussed this over the last couple of days here on TH. I have had periods where Firefox was always starting when I started the system, which eventually went away on its own, and after which I had another web browser.

See the topic:
windows 10 now boots and launches internet explorer

jackman9061

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018
That's a pretty easy fix, Firefox would start up in the background and hog a bunch of my resources before I fixed it myself.

Here's what you have to do:

1. Open Firefox and enter about:config into the URL Address bar and say yes when it warns you that messing with the settings of firfox could possibly damage your PC (it won't).

2. Use the search bar in about:config and search for toolkit.winRegisterApplicationRestart

3. Change the value of the setting from true to false

And that should fix your problem

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
That's a pretty easy fix, Firefox would start up in the background and hog a bunch of my resources before I fixed it myself.

Here's what you have to do:

1. Open Firefox and enter about:config into the URL Address bar and say yes when it warns you that messing with the settings of firfox could possibly damage your PC (it won't).

2. Use the search bar in about:config and search for toolkit.winRegisterApplicationRestart

3. Change the value of the setting from true to false

And that should fix your problem

hmm interesting. Why would this have changed though?

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Personally, I think it's probably the result of the new feature of 1903 that allows the system to start again where you left off being wonky.

I have discussed this over the last couple of days here on TH. I have had periods where Firefox was always starting when I started the system, which eventually went away on its own, and after which I had another web browser.

See the topic:

Solution

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017

See the topic:

After doing some searching I found a page referencing this. Its a "feature" they began rolling out last fall that allows firefox to open on start up if you didn't close it before shutting down or restarting the system.

So just before trying Jackman9061's suggestion I thought, I read this then tried and sure enough.. Just closing it seems to make it stop.. simple as that.

I assume Jackman9061's solution will stop it from happening in any scenario though.