Firewall down

Hi I am having problems with my firewall. It is off and I can not turn it
back on. Everytime I try to click the firewall link I receive this message:

Windows Firewall settings cannnot be displayed because the associated
service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall/Internet
Connection Sharing (ICS) service? Yes/No.

I click yes but receive this message: Windows cannot start the Windows
Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service. I click ok.

Does anyone know what is wrong with my firewall? This has been going on for
three days now. Can this be fixed. I tried reinstalling Windows Service
Pack 2. Nothing happened. I can not use my system restore either.
--
Queen Cipher Divine Earth

Cipher Divine wrote:

> Hi I am having problems with my firewall. It is off and I can not turn it
> back on. Everytime I try to click the firewall link I receive this message:
>
> Windows Firewall settings cannnot be displayed because the associated
> service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall/Internet
> Connection Sharing (ICS) service? Yes/No.
>
> I click yes but receive this message: Windows cannot start the Windows
> Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service. I click ok.
>
> Does anyone know what is wrong with my firewall? This has been going on for
> three days now. Can this be fixed. I tried reinstalling Windows Service
> Pack 2. Nothing happened. I can not use my system restore either.
Hi,

If you don't have WinXP SP2 installed, try this one:

Please try this if you have SP2 for WinXP installed:

Start/Run --> cmd.exe

and then, in the command prompt that opened up, type:

netsh.exe winsock reset

and hit Enter. Follow prompts and reboot.

After resetting winsock you should re-install any applications which
are layered service providers (lsp). typical apps of this nature are
firewalls and anti-virus/anti-spyware.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

I enable my Windows firewall but when I check it the next day is is off.
How do I make it stay in the on position?
Thank you, tr