Question Firewall in Windows 10

Jun 14, 2019
I have Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security app stating that I have the firewall on but I have Windows Defender Security Center stating that the firewall is off and I need to take action in Norton Security. 2 different apps with opposing advice. Can anyone advise here?

Jun 14, 2019
Yes I've tried turning on and off with no difference. I don't understand why there are 2 applications both for Windows Defender. Norton has it's own firewall but I don't see the point in paying for it when Windows firewall should work

Colif

Win 11 Master
2 does seem redundant.

I guess Security Centre is there as a Overview of security on PC, its not just AV & FIrewall, it also shows Smartscreen settings, whether you have secure boot on, and general health of PC + family settings. You can refresh PC from this menu (similar to a reset)

Defender just has the settings for AV & firewall

It makes sense to have them as separate apps as you can have Defender act as Firewall while you use another AV
or disable defender completely and still use Security Centre for its other functions

also means Defender can be updated without updating the security centre as well. Probably less complicated for Microsoft.

TRENDING THREADS