firewall refusing to turn on

Dusty

Hello all!

I have just install new software and all of a sudded my win XP
refuse to turn on....it give me the error message : could not start the
windows firewall/internet connection sharing(ICS) service on local computer
Error 10047: An address incompatible with the requested protocol was used

I checked the ICS services and tried to turn it on but still can not load
the firewall....
Any ideas on this issue....I search the windows data base for info
but could not find any things usefull for this issue

Thanks for your help

--
microsoft (mcp)

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

dusty wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> I have just install new software and all of a sudded my win XP
> refuse to turn on....it give me the error message : could not start the
> windows firewall/internet connection sharing(ICS) service on local computer
> Error 10047: An address incompatible with the requested protocol was used
>
> I checked the ICS services and tried to turn it on but still can not load
> the firewall....
> Any ideas on this issue....I search the windows data base for info
> but could not find any things usefull for this issue
>
> Thanks for your help

Additionally you should look into using a 3rd party firewall. The built
in one works ok but it only monitors inbound traffic, not outbound, so
it can't catch nasties on the system that are trying to "phone home'.
There are several free good 3rd party firewalls including those from
Sygate, Zone Alarm and Kerio. I use the Sygate Pro version and have for
several years. It works well.

Sygate Personal Firewall
http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm

Zone Alarm
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp?lid=staticcomp_za

Kerio Personal Firewall
http://www.kerio.com/kpf_download.html

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

QT

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2004

This doesn't solve your current problem but I would turn off windows
firewall all together and install some other firewall like zone alarm etc.

"dusty" <dusty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello all!
>
> I have just install new software and all of a sudded my win XP
> refuse to turn on....it give me the error message : could not start the
> windows firewall/internet connection sharing(ICS) service on local
> computer
> Error 10047: An address incompatible with the requested protocol was used
>
> I checked the ICS services and tried to turn it on but still can not load
> the firewall....
> Any ideas on this issue....I search the windows data base for info
> but could not find any things usefull for this issue
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> --
> microsoft (mcp)

Malke

dusty wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I have just install new software and all of a sudded my win XP
> refuse to turn on....it give me the error message : could not start the
> windows firewall/internet connection sharing(ICS) service on local computer
> Error 10047: An address incompatible with the requested protocol was used
>
> I checked the ICS services and tried to turn it on but still can not load
> the firewall....
> Any ideas on this issue....I search the windows data base for info
> but could not find any things usefull for this issue
>
> Thanks for your help

You've got a pretty clear cause-and-effect there; you installed new
software (what software?) and now Windows Firewall won't turn on.
Apparently whatever you installed is interfering w/WF. Without knowing
what program you installed, I can't be more specific, although here are
a few links:

FIREWALL DEAD, or other network issues:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892350

MS antispyware tool disables Windows Firewall (or to reset firewall):
Start>Run cmd [enter]
netsh winsock reset catalog [enter]
Follow prompts and reboot.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

Dusty

thanks for the link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892350

I did not known about this issue....but it works fine

Thanks again
--
microsoft (mcp)