Firewall still working?

So, I play aoe3 w/ my friend sometimes and since the online got turned off (eso went under), we have to use hamachi for local play.

Anyhow, as part of this, one of the required steps to get it working was to turn off firewall coverage for the hamachi network connection.

Seeing as I don't run hamachi regularly, is it a problem leaving that network adapter uncovered? Windows keeps complaining about firewall being off, but I'm wondering if it's just being overzealous regarding the unfirewalled adapter being left like that.

Marlin Schwanke

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
It would be better to have the firewall always enabled but it’s not the end of the world if you leave it off during gameplay. There is a firewall on your internet gateway or WiFi router box after all.

Marlin Schwanke

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013

I reread your post. If you meant that you are disabling the firewall on the Hamachi virtual adapter then that only applies when you actually have Hamachi running and connected. It might be possible for malware to get at you over the Hamachi connection if your friend’s computer has some particularly nasty malware, or vice-versa. Hopefully you both have good anti-malware but you are probably fine.