firewall

I recently got Windows XP and the firewall isnt working. I try to enable it
and it says "Windows cannot start Windows Firewall/ICS. It was installed
on the computer by professionals. Help!

Malke

Lori wrote:

> I recently got Windows XP and the firewall isnt working. I try to
> enable it
> and it says "Windows cannot start Windows Firewall/ICS. It was
> installed
> on the computer by professionals. Help!

Do you have a third-party firewall or security solution (like Norton
Internet Security) installed? If you are not sure, call the
"professionals" and ask them.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
www.elephantboycomputers.com

No I do not have a third party firewall or security solution installed.

Lori wrote:

> No I do not have a third party firewall or security solution
> installed.
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> Lori wrote:
>>
>> > I recently got Windows XP and the firewall isnt working. I try to
>> > enable it
>> > and it says "Windows cannot start Windows Firewall/ICS. It was
>> > installed
>> > on the computer by professionals. Help!
>>
>> Do you have a third-party firewall or security solution (like Norton
>> Internet Security) installed? If you are not sure, call the
>> "professionals" and ask them.

Lori, you will really have to provide more information about your system
if you want to get help. You haven't told us anything about your
computer, what software is running (antivirus program, antispyware
program, etc.), if the firewall ever worked and if it did, what
changed.

Go here to get help in making a good post:

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Then do come back and repost with all necessary details. There are lots
of people reading this newsgroup who want to help you (like me), but
you have to give us something with which to work.

In the meantime, here are a few links that may help:

FIREWALL DEAD, or other network issues:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892350

MS antispyware tool disables Windows Firewall (or to reset firewall):
Start>Run cmd [enter]
netsh winsock reset catalog [enter]
Follow prompts and reboot.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
www.elephantboycomputers.com
In Memoriam - MVP Alex Nichol
The world is diminished without him.

Silly me! I thought writing the exact message I was getting would be
sufficient. Yes I am running antispyware and antivirus programs. The
antispyware came with Windows XP. One would assume when it was installed
brand new everything would be working. I was able to consult a friend and
the problem is fixed. Thank you for your help.

Lori wrote:

> Silly me! I thought writing the exact message I was getting would be
> sufficient. Yes I am running antispyware and antivirus programs. The
> antispyware came with Windows XP. One would assume when it was
> installed
> brand new everything would be working. I was able to consult a friend
> and
> the problem is fixed. Thank you for your help.

I'm glad you got the problem sorted. You didn't actually write the exact
error message, and you have to remember that none of us can see your
computer from here so you have to be detailed. That would include the
name and versions of antispyware/antivirus programs, troubleshooting
steps you had already taken, whether a problem is new or pre-existed,
that sort of thing. For future posts, do go to the links I gave you and
you will then know exactly what sort of information you should include
in your initial post about a problem.

Enjoy your new computer.

Malke