FireWire card causes 100% CPU usage in Svchost.exe

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hi,

I tried installing an A-Link FireWire PCI card into my Windows XP Pro SP2
computer. After plugging it in (no devices connected), my computer wouldn't
boot up properly anymore.

When booting up, there was an Svchost.exe process that started eating 100%
CPU time at some point. After this, I couldn't start any new processes or do
much anything.

I managed to run Procexp just after booting and was able to view the hanging
Svchost.exe process with it. There was a single thread that consumed all CPU
time, and its stack trace showed the following (typing from screenshot,
please excuse me for any typos):

Stack for thread 3076

0 msvcrt.dll!wcsicmp+0x4b
1 netcfgx.dll!UpdateLanaConfigUsingAnswerfile+0x4c70
2 netcfgx.dll!UpdateLanaConfigUsingAnswerfile+0xaa66
3 netcfgx.dll!UpdateLanaConfigUsingAnswerfile+0xbf6
4 netcfgx.dll!HrDiAddComponentTolNetCfg+0x6f
5 netman.dll+0x1abe2
6 netman.dll+0x1adcf

After killing this thread my computer was usable again (same thing killing
the Svchost.exe process but then I had many services disabled).

The funny thing was that when I uninstalled the FireWire card drivers, and
took the PCI card out of my computer, the problem persisted! Finally I had
to uninstall SP2 (problem still persisted) and re-install SP2 again. This
got rid of the problem.

By the way, I installed the same card into another Windows XP machine, and
it installed without a glitch.

I have two questions:

1. How can I fix this problem in the future? In particular, where is this
"answerfile" located that is being added? I'd like to retry installing the
FireWire card, but I can't afford to lose another 4-6 hours uninstalling and
re-installing SP2.

2. If the problem occurs again, how can make the FireWire card work?

--

Mikko Noromaa (mikkon@excelsql.com)
- SQL in Excel, check out ExcelSQL! - see http://www.excelsql.com -
 

bar

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
1,144
0
19,280
0
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

1. Read the user manual.
2. Follow installation steps to the letter
3. Check for hardware compatibilty issues - not all PCs are the same, even
if Windows is the Operating System.

"Mikko Noromaa" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried installing an A-Link FireWire PCI card into my Windows XP Pro SP2
> computer. After plugging it in (no devices connected), my computer wouldn't
> boot up properly anymore.
>
> When booting up, there was an Svchost.exe process that started eating 100%
> CPU time at some point. After this, I couldn't start any new processes or do
> much anything.
>
> I managed to run Procexp just after booting and was able to view the hanging
> Svchost.exe process with it. There was a single thread that consumed all CPU
> time, and its stack trace showed the following (typing from screenshot,
> please excuse me for any typos):
>
> Stack for thread 3076
>
> 0 msvcrt.dll!wcsicmp+0x4b
> 1 netcfgx.dll!UpdateLanaConfigUsingAnswerfile+0x4c70
> 2 netcfgx.dll!UpdateLanaConfigUsingAnswerfile+0xaa66
> 3 netcfgx.dll!UpdateLanaConfigUsingAnswerfile+0xbf6
> 4 netcfgx.dll!HrDiAddComponentTolNetCfg+0x6f
> 5 netman.dll+0x1abe2
> 6 netman.dll+0x1adcf
>
> After killing this thread my computer was usable again (same thing killing
> the Svchost.exe process but then I had many services disabled).
>
> The funny thing was that when I uninstalled the FireWire card drivers, and
> took the PCI card out of my computer, the problem persisted! Finally I had
> to uninstall SP2 (problem still persisted) and re-install SP2 again. This
> got rid of the problem.
>
> By the way, I installed the same card into another Windows XP machine, and
> it installed without a glitch.
>
> I have two questions:
>
> 1. How can I fix this problem in the future? In particular, where is this
> "answerfile" located that is being added? I'd like to retry installing the
> FireWire card, but I can't afford to lose another 4-6 hours uninstalling and
> re-installing SP2.
>
> 2. If the problem occurs again, how can make the FireWire card work?
>
> --
>
> Mikko Noromaa (mikkon@excelsql.com)
> - SQL in Excel, check out ExcelSQL! - see http://www.excelsql.com -
>
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hi,

> 1. Read the user manual.
> 2. Follow installation steps to the letter
> 3. Check for hardware compatibilty issues - not all PCs are the same, even
> if Windows is the Operating System.

I am quoting the full installation instructions here:

"1. Insert FWH card to free PCI slot of your computer.

2. Turn on computer -> Windows XP found and install drivers automatically."

Yes, I have followed these instructions to the letter. :)

There are no drivers available from the manufacturer's (A-Link) Web site.
They just tell to use the drivers provided by Windows XP.

I think my problem clearly has its roots in software, not hardware. This is
because the problem persisted after the hardware was removed, and because of
the stack trace I posted.

Any further ideas are welcome!

--

Mikko Noromaa (mikkon@excelsql.com)
- SQL in Excel, check out ExcelSQL! - see http://www.excelsql.com -
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

"They just tell to use the drivers provided by Windows XP."

I think my problem clearly has its roots in software, not hardware.
This is
because the problem persisted after the hardware was removed, and
because of the stack trace I posted.

Mikko,
There is a known problem with SP2 drivers for firewire.
I went through the install process with SP2 also, although I didn't
have the Svchost problem you have. None of the items I had worked
anymore when plugged in. (DV camera & Ext. f.wire drive) Format &
reinstall SP1 Pro.
Everything works. There are two work-arounds; re-install SP1 drivers:
Go to C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386 in the sp1 cab copy out the
following files

1394bus.sys
arp1394.sys
nic1394.sys
ohci1394.sys
enum1394.sys is in C:\windows\system32\drivers

Copy out the following files to a new folder you can call
"Firewirefix," (without quotes)

Stop XP Sp2 from re-install it's drivers again by:
Renaming the XP2.cab file (e.g. to XP2old.cab)

Replace the new versions of them in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache
and C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers in safe mode.

Go to device manager for your ohci firewire card and update SP2 drivers
to the SP1 drivers by pointing to Firewirefix. Reboot.

The other fix (more complex) is to replace the Sp1cab firewire files
into SP2cab by using a Cabinet Editor, then doing a repair install. See
Thread:
'MSFN' (http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=41830)
(2 pages long)
Hope this helps.
Treeman


--
Treeman
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hi,

> There is a known problem with SP2 drivers for firewire.

OK, good to know! Is this documented somewhere, perhaps even by Microsoft? I
couldn't find anything related with my searches.

I'll give it a go with the SP1 drivers as you suggested. I don't like this
work-around so I'll first re-evaluate my need for the FireWire card...

Thank you very much for your insight on the subject!

--

Mikko Noromaa (mikkon@excelsql.com)
- SQL in Excel, check out ExcelSQL! - see http://www.excelsql.com -



"Treeman" <Treeman.1mb31n@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
news:Treeman.1mb31n@pcbanter.net...
>
> "They just tell to use the drivers provided by Windows XP."
>
> I think my problem clearly has its roots in software, not hardware.
> This is
> because the problem persisted after the hardware was removed, and
> because of the stack trace I posted.
>
> Mikko,
> There is a known problem with SP2 drivers for firewire.
> I went through the install process with SP2 also, although I didn't
> have the Svchost problem you have. None of the items I had worked
> anymore when plugged in. (DV camera & Ext. f.wire drive) Format &
> reinstall SP1 Pro.
> Everything works. There are two work-arounds; re-install SP1 drivers:
> Go to C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386 in the sp1 cab copy out the
> following files
>
> 1394bus.sys
> arp1394.sys
> nic1394.sys
> ohci1394.sys
> enum1394.sys is in C:\windows\system32\drivers
>
> Copy out the following files to a new folder you can call
> "Firewirefix," (without quotes)
>
> Stop XP Sp2 from re-install it's drivers again by:
> Renaming the XP2.cab file (e.g. to XP2old.cab)
>
> Replace the new versions of them in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache
> and C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers in safe mode.
>
> Go to device manager for your ohci firewire card and update SP2 drivers
> to the SP1 drivers by pointing to Firewirefix. Reboot.
>
> The other fix (more complex) is to replace the Sp1cab firewire files
> into SP2cab by using a Cabinet Editor, then doing a repair install. See
> Thread:
> 'MSFN' (http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=41830)
> (2 pages long)
> Hope this helps.
> Treeman
>
>
> --
> Treeman
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hi,

Update (see description of the original problem below): Yesterday I
re-installed the FireWire card, and had no problems whatsoever. I have
connected my external LaCie drive to it, and everything works perfectly.

I didn't have to downgrade FireWire drivers to SP1 level (didn't even try
this).

My conclusions: either the original problem was random (caused by some
timing issue, for example), or the first install left some files or settings
that made it succeed the second time.

Either way, it would be interesting to know what
UpdateLanaConfigUsingAnswerfile and HrDiAddComponentTolNetCfg were actually
doing. From the stack trace it looks like UpdateLanaConfigUsingAnswerfile
was comparing the same string(s) over and over. Any theories are welcome.

--

Mikko Noromaa (mikkon@excelsql.com)
- SQL in Excel, check out ExcelSQL! - see http://www.excelsql.com -


"Mikko Noromaa" <mikkon@excelsql.com> wrote in message
news:OwAt%23KnLFHA.1392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> I tried installing an A-Link FireWire PCI card into my Windows XP Pro SP2
> computer. After plugging it in (no devices connected), my computer
> wouldn't boot up properly anymore.
>
> When booting up, there was an Svchost.exe process that started eating 100%
> CPU time at some point. After this, I couldn't start any new processes or
> do much anything.
>
> I managed to run Procexp just after booting and was able to view the
> hanging Svchost.exe process with it. There was a single thread that
> consumed all CPU time, and its stack trace showed the following (typing
> from screenshot, please excuse me for any typos):
>
> Stack for thread 3076
>
> 0 msvcrt.dll!wcsicmp+0x4b
> 1 netcfgx.dll!UpdateLanaConfigUsingAnswerfile+0x4c70
> 2 netcfgx.dll!UpdateLanaConfigUsingAnswerfile+0xaa66
> 3 netcfgx.dll!UpdateLanaConfigUsingAnswerfile+0xbf6
> 4 netcfgx.dll!HrDiAddComponentTolNetCfg+0x6f
> 5 netman.dll+0x1abe2
> 6 netman.dll+0x1adcf
>
> After killing this thread my computer was usable again (same thing killing
> the Svchost.exe process but then I had many services disabled).
>
> The funny thing was that when I uninstalled the FireWire card drivers, and
> took the PCI card out of my computer, the problem persisted! Finally I had
> to uninstall SP2 (problem still persisted) and re-install SP2 again. This
> got rid of the problem.
>
> By the way, I installed the same card into another Windows XP machine, and
> it installed without a glitch.
>
> I have two questions:
>
> 1. How can I fix this problem in the future? In particular, where is this
> "answerfile" located that is being added? I'd like to retry installing the
> FireWire card, but I can't afford to lose another 4-6 hours uninstalling
> and re-installing SP2.
>
> 2. If the problem occurs again, how can make the FireWire card work?
>
> --
>
> Mikko Noromaa (mikkon@excelsql.com)
> - SQL in Excel, check out ExcelSQL! - see http://www.excelsql.com -
>
>
 

TRENDING THREADS