Firewire Card preventing PC from booting

tinynja98

Reputable
Jan 17, 2015
Hello,

My dad has a problem with a firewire card (which uses 32-bit PCI - the white pci) : when he plugs the card into his computer (which has a Gigabyte H97-D3H mobo) and he powers it on, the fans of the pc start spinning, but absolutely nothing happens on the screen. We cannot hear the bootup sound of windows either. The monitor doesn't even show the startup screen of the motherboard.

BUT...

When we tried the same exact firewire card in my computer (which has an Intel DX58SO mobo), everything works perfectly fine and firewire card can be used just as it is supposed to. Therefore we know the firewire card is in perfect working conditions.

So what could be the cause of the problem here - and what can we do to make the card work in my dad's computer?

Solution
I assume you tried all three PCI slots?

There is one option I see in the BIOS that could be relevant --
Other PCI Device ROM Priority
Allows you to select whether to enable the UEFI or Legacy option ROM for the PCI device controller other
than the LAN, storage device, and graphics controllers.
Legacy OpROM Enables legacy option ROM only.
UEFI OpROM Enables UEFI option ROM only. (Default)
This item is configurable only when CSM Support is set to Always.

Page 50 in the manual -- http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z97(h97)-d3h_e.pdf

kanewolf

Titan
I assume you tried all three PCI slots?

There is one option I see in the BIOS that could be relevant --
Other PCI Device ROM Priority
Allows you to select whether to enable the UEFI or Legacy option ROM for the PCI device controller other
than the LAN, storage device, and graphics controllers.
Legacy OpROM Enables legacy option ROM only.
UEFI OpROM Enables UEFI option ROM only. (Default)
This item is configurable only when CSM Support is set to Always.

Page 50 in the manual -- http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z97(h97)-d3h_e.pdf

Solution

tinynja98

Reputable
Jan 17, 2015

Thanks man i changed the option you mentionned from UEFI opROM to Legacy opROM and it worked like a charm!