Firewire connected Camcorder not seen by XP

My JVC GR-DV3000 camcorder suddenly is no longer recognized by firewire
connection in XP Pro SP2.I can not upload my mini DV tapes to hardisc.It
worked OK until one day when I plugged in the camera and it was not
'detected'.There were no obvious recent changes in hardware but I have
loaded one or two new unrelated software progs.

I tried reinstalling the Drivers and updating them.Device manager shows the
FW controller as working properly and drivers installed.

Unfortunately I do not have another FW device or FW lead to test out to
track the problem but will somehow get them if have no luck elsewhere.

Is there anything else I can do to locate and fix the problem?

Thanks

Sam

Sam Lewis Wrote:
> My JVC GR-DV3000 camcorder suddenly is no longer recognized by firewire
> connection in XP Pro SP2.I can not upload my mini DV tapes to
> hardisc.It
> worked OK until one day when I plugged in the camera and it was not
> 'detected'.There were no obvious recent changes in hardware but I
> have
> loaded one or two new unrelated software progs.
>
> I tried reinstalling the Drivers and updating them.Device manager shows
> the
> FW controller as working properly and drivers installed.
>
> Unfortunately I do not have another FW device or FW lead to test out
> track the problem but will somehow get them if have no luck elsewhere.
>
> Is there anything else I can do to locate and fix the problem?
>
> Thanks
>
> Sam

Hi Sam,
Here's my take on the firewire issue:
I have been running around to different forums and there is _always_ a
common thread:
My DV camera, firewire drive, ect, quit being recognized by XP.

I have suffered through Microsoft tech support to the point where I had
to do a format & re-install of XP SP1, to get things working again.
When SP2 first rolled out is when I started seeing these types of
"can't connect" postings. Since folks are now showing problems with SP1
also, it is my opinion that it could have been a hotfix (W. Update) that
might be causing a problem.
You will see a lot of responses to the problem laid on the end user:
Did you check for spyware, viruses, defrag your hard drive, update
drivers, applications, etc. To those folks I certainly can give a
resounding YES!
Not all of us are noobs.

The fact that your 1394 connection is treated as a secure network may
be part of the problem. Mr. Hughes posted in one thread:
"Check in the security section to ensure the firewall is not blocking
the
firewire port." My reply is; How? Which port controls firewire?
Roll back to SP1 drivers. (doesn't work for everyone)
"Get a different firewire card." Some chipsets are not supported; Via,
Nec, TI, Glint, or any other chipset you can name.
Re-install the firewire drivers for your card, (duh) XP's drivers are
supposed to natively support firewire.

I guess after all is said and done, YOU, the end user, are the one at
fault! Don't blame Microsoft for things that don't work anymore. It was
something that you did or didn't do, that is the cause of the problem.
Live with it, and don't expect any real help, because we don't have a
clue.

Now doesn't that make you feel better? (snort)
Treeman
I'll probably be banned from the forum for this one!

--
Treeman

>Is there anything else I can do to locate and fix the problem?
>
>Thanks
>
>Sam

It's a known issue try the attached file, it reinstalls pre-sp2
drivers and resolve the problem (at least resolved to me!)
Bye
Maurizio

Oh Jeez! Treeman,thanks for the sad synopsis.Maybe we all have to wait for
the fix to come eventually from MS (yes I know what you're thinking, lol).

Tell me something, is it just your DV camera or ALL firewire devices not
detected ? Also could it be camera specific i.e. confined to one camera or
type of camera? I read somewhere where one brand of camera, I think it was
Panasonic, had a dll file somehow altered with an extension of "dll.1" and
when the ".1" was removed, hey presto, the camera was again recognized.I did
a search for this file for my JVC camera but didn't have it.However, while
that may have been the answer in that case it would appear that like the
rollback to SP1 it is not the answer in all cases or at least is not getting
to the root of the problem.Indeed the problem may have multiple causes.

If it were a result of a 'hotfix' I presume you would have already rolled
back various hotfixes with system restore (presuming this is possible..I
have never done it...System restore has never really worked for me the few
times I used it)? But as you say even rolling back to SP1 may or may not
fix it.

I can not believe the smart people/ computer whizzes haven't come up with
some solution or work around to what seems to be a common problem.:-(

Please keep me posted and I will do the same if I find out anything useful.

Sam

OMaurizio Wrote:
> -
> Is there anything else I can do to locate and fix the problem?
>
> Thanks
>
> Sam
> -
>
> It's a known issue try the attached file, it reinstalls pre-sp2
> drivers and resolve the problem (at least resolved to me!)
> Bye
> Maurizio

Hi All,
Since I formatted my hard drive and re-installed SP1 both my firewire
devices work. (Panasonic DV camera & external firewire hard drive) XP
immediatly recognizes each device with the satisfiying audible "pop,"
and the little balloon that tells me the device is ready for use, and
what would I like to do with it.
I have installed every Windows Update released so far without it
killing my firewire. So for you SP2 users, what can I say? I know
you've looked in device manager and seen that your 1394 ochi device is
working properly, it's just when you try to plug anything into it you
realize it ain't so!

I have a total of three computers in my room. A small form factor
Shuttle & a Sager laptop, on both of those I had to roll back to SP1
firewire drivers, and that worked for me.
The computer I am using to reply to you on is a little hardware
dependant: Intel D875PBZ mobo, 3.2ghz P-4, 1gb. Ecc DDR memory, 2-WD
Raptors 10,000 rpm. Sata Raid/0, internal drives include a CD/RW & DVD
R/RW, WD 120gb. removable Ide drive (for backups) a 9 in 1 usb media
reader, plugged into the PCI bus is a Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS sound
card & a combo USB/Firewire card. This system has been up & running for
a year and a half.

Plugging SP2 into this machine just kills it. While it still works
(without firewire) the security enhancements from SP2 just are not
enough to make me trust installing it again.
Here are some links that may or may not be of any help, remember these
are MS solutions, not mine. Your mileage may vary:
'Knowlegebase 1' (http://tinyurl.com/3rolw) 'Knowledgebase 2'
(http://tinyurl.com/5k3ey)
Treeman

--
Treeman

Having tried all fo the suggestions on the multiple boards and forums
for this problem - without success - I have opened a support call with
M.S. They asked me to install KB885464 - which I questioned, as the
symptoms didn't seem to relate. Well, I did install the patch, with no
effect. I am awaiting their next suggestion.

I am thinking the problem maybe related to some other application
having munged a registry setting. When I get the time/motivation I may
do a clean isntall of XP with SP2 on a spare drive, with no other
applications loaded and see if the Firewire port recognized my camera.
If yes, then the real detective work begins :)

Les.

--
Figgman_Snr

Figgman_Snr Wrote:
> Having tried all fo the suggestions on the multiple boards and forums
> for this problem - without success - I have opened a support call with
> M.S. They asked me to install KB885464 - which I questioned, as the
> symptoms didn't seem to relate. Well, I did install the patch, with no
> effect. I am awaiting their next suggestion.
>
> I am thinking the problem maybe related to some other application
> having munged a registry setting. When I get the time/motivation I may
> do a clean isntall of XP with SP2 on a spare drive, with no other
> applications loaded and see if the Firewire port recognized my camera.
> If yes, then the real detective work begins :)
>
> Les.
Figgman,
Just don't let MS talk you into doing a re-install of XP _over_the_top_
of the OS you currently have installed. They did this to me at the 5th.
level of support. Result was disaster. On the bright side, I was able
to format & re-install XP SP1, all my applications, & backed up data!
A song came to mind while I was doing this; "we won't be fooled
again."
Treeman

--
Treeman

This is truly an outrageous situation.Many hours of people's time just god
damm wasted by Microsoft.I know one thing I wont be in line to buy their
next OS!How can they do this to their customers and get away with it <naive
grin>

Of interest was that I have a cloned and bootable earlier version of my
XPSP2 OS on a removable rack which I use for clean installs of OS and progs
should I need to Re-OS (believe me a very handy thing to have).I booted into
this drive which I thought I used to upload and edit a friend's wedding
video-Yes my DV Camera was *originally* working with SP2,well as far as I
can remember,but could be wrong.So now I plug in my camera and blow me
down...STILL NOT WORKING!Makes no sense to me whatsoever unless my camera or
lead or controller is bust, which I will pursue.I also have a cloned back up
of an old SP1 OS which I will transfer over when I get time to see if it
works.It did so in the past.

I also tried a fix seen on other forums which just replaces all SP2 firewire
drivers with SP1 drivers.This seems to have worked for quite a few and did
not require a full roll back to SP1 (except for the fw drivers).Sadly no go
for me.

Sam

Sam Lewis Wrote:
> This is truly an outrageous situation.
> Sam
I'm surprised someone hasn't popped in here and said, "if your really
interested in video, by a Mac. :)
They had some problems with the new Panther X OS if it makes you feel
better.
Treeman

--
Treeman

OMaurizio Wrote:
> -
> Is there anything else I can do to locate and fix the problem?
>
> Thanks
>
> Sam
> -
>
> It's a known issue try the attached file, it reinstalls pre-sp2
> drivers and resolve the problem (at least resolved to me!)
> Bye
> Maurizio

Maurizio
May I have the file from u? I just installed SP2 and have the same
problem. :)want to try it
Thanks in advance

--
javiers

javiers Wrote:
> Maurizio
> May I have the file from u? I just installed SP2 and have the same
> problem. :)want to try it
> Thanks in advance

I don't see the link for the file download, but I'll give you the
manual way to do this. That is if your fortunate enough to have SP1
drivers available. If not, you can borrow someone else's SP1 CD.
Firewire Fix;
Go to C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386 & C:\dllcache in SP1 and copy out
the
following files
SBP2port.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers & \system32\dllcache
1394bus.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
arp1394.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
nic1394.sys is in c:\Windows\System32\Drivers
ohci1394.sys is in C:\windows\System32\drivers
enum1394.sys is in C:\windows\system32\drivers

Copy out the following files to a new folder you can call
"Firewirefix," (without quotes)

Stop XP Sp2 from re-installing it's drivers again by:
Renaming the XP2.cab file to (e.g. to XP2old.cab)

Replace the SP2 versions of these files with the SP1 versions in
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers & C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache in safe
mode.

Go to device manager for your ohci firewire card and update SP2 drivers
to the SP1 drivers by pointing to Firewirefix folder.(warning message
normal) Reboot.
Treeman

--
Treeman