justking060310

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
Hey everyone,
I got a new hard drive (EIDE) and I hooked it up to the motherboard as normal and formatted and renamed it. I had no problem doing this, it was recognized and everything was good to go.

So, I went ahead and I installed the drive into the Firewire hard drive case and now when its plugged in, Windows XP Pro x64, nor Vista will recognize it at all. I unplug that drive and hook up another that I have and it spins up and is recognized just fine.

All jumpers are the same between the 2 drives. It is getting power and spins up. Windows Hardware ID wizard does not pick it up. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Katie
8O

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Make sure everything is plugged in tight. Reset the jumper, e.g., if it's currently cable select, try Master. If the case also has USB connection, try that. Check in Devise Manager and make sure there are no conflicts and could try uninstalling the firewire driver. Have you tried any other firewire devices?

justking060310

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
I have cycled all the jumper settings. It only has 2 firewire connections(one for each hard drive and I have tried both). There is nothing going on in the Device Manager... I do not have a driver for it(i bought the case used and as such it has no markings on the case at all) as I have been going on the theory that XP would recognize it. I have used the same case/cable/power connections with another hard drive and it works fine....

Thank you so much for help and if you have some more ideas, they are welcome

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
XP SP2 has a firewire driver, which means you should be able to delete the firewire driver in Devise Manager and it will reinstall when you reboot the system. Given it works in another computer it sounds like it's either a driver problem or something in the BIOS settings. Are you using onboard firewire or a card?