Firewire, Hot Swappable or not?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

<< Ever try to read through a
cup full of coffee grounds? >>

I can attest that magnetic tape is playable through a large qualtity of coffee
grounds & old stale milk.

Scott Fraser

In article <20040830154916.09145.00002634@mb-m01.aol.com> scotfraser@aol.com writes:

> I can attest that magnetic tape is playable through a large qualtity of coffee
> grounds & old stale milk.

Oh, so you've eaten breakfast over an open box of tape, too?

Analogeezer posited:
<<
Sort of like Volkswagens, right?

My keyboard player has this theory that there is a high rate of
corollation between people that buy Macs and Volkswagen Jettas and
GTi's.

Analogeezer >>

As the owner at various times of 3 VW's and 2 Audi's and 6 Macs I can't
disagree. :)

Mac Kerr

Mike Rivers wrote:

> In article <20040829174239.24956.00001549@mb-m20.aol.com> mackerr@aol.compost writes:
>

>>The trash can icon turns into an eject icon if you get near it with a drive
>>icon. If that still worries you, just select the icon of the drive you need to
>>unmount and select eject from the file menu, or hit "command" E.
>

> Thanks for the explanation. I'm so non-iconic I probably never would
> have figured that out even if I saw it. On my first excursion on a
> Mac, we were working with a Dyaxis system and needed more disk space,
> so I figured that dragging files to the trash can would delete them,
> but the disk was still full no matter how much trash I took out.
> Finaly someone told me that I had to EMPTY the trash can before the
> files were really deleted. I probably never would have figured that
> out either.
>
> Where do people learn this stuff?

From Lieber and Stoller, via the Coasters ( yakkety yak - don't
talk back ) :)

Les Cargill

Dragging a drive to the trash is the same as selecting 'eject' from the
Finder. Dragging the contents of the drive to the trash would 'erase
everything'. I wouldn't recommend dragging your sytem drive icon to
the trash. I haven't tried it, but idoesn't sound like a good thing to
do.

Norm!!

In article <20040830210115.16860.00002697@mb-m20.aol.com>, MacKerr
<mackerr@aol.compost> wrote:

> Analogeezer posited:
> <<
> Sort of like Volkswagens, right?
>
> My keyboard player has this theory that there is a high rate of
> corollation between people that buy Macs and Volkswagen Jettas and
> GTi's.
>
> Analogeezer >>

> As the owner at various times of 3 VW's and 2 Audi's and 6 Macs I can't
> disagree. :)
>
> Mac Kerr
Hey there's no crime in buying quality items.

Norm!!

Norm!! wrote:
> I wouldn't recommend dragging your sytem drive icon to
> the trash. I haven't tried it, but idoesn't sound like a good thing to
> do.

Nothing much. Here's a picture:
/____________________________________________________________\
| |
| : / : The disk "<diskname>" is in use and could not be |
| < ejected. |
| \___/ |
| Try quitting applications and try again. |
| ____ |
| (_OK_) |
\____________________________________________________________/

I don't think it's going to work no matter how many applications
you try quitting, though...

- Logan

In article <070920041809129694%Thebigonion@plunger.adj> Thebigonion@plunger.adj writes:

> Dragging a drive to the trash is the same as selecting 'eject' from the
> Finder.

I've gathered that. But how are you supposed to learn this fact?

Mike Rivers wrote:

> In article <070920041809129694%Thebigonion@plunger.adj> Thebigonion@plunger.adj writes:

>>Dragging a drive to the trash is the same as selecting 'eject' from the
>>Finder.

> I've gathered that. But how are you supposed to learn this fact?

Story I've heard (possibly apocryphal) is the whole trash-means-eject
concept came about pretty much accidentally. Supposedly, in early
versions of the Macintosh (before it was ever released as a product),
things worked more sensibly: to eject a disk, you'd click once on
the disk icon to select it and then do some sort of operation to
eject it (like choose "eject" from the pull-down menu). This would
leave you with a "dead" icon on the desktop, so you'd want to get
rid of the dead icon, and you'd drag it to the trash.

However, when they did user testing to see how well people liked this
way of doing things, they found that the users hated it because they
perceived the menu option thing as a needless step and a waste of
time. So they simplified the process by making that step unnecessary
and making drag to trash mean eject.

Unfortunately, this really goes against the whole idea of making things
intuitive. Apple does a good job, a lot of the time, of not making
arbitrary things that you "just have to know", and that seems to be a
big priority for them, but sometimes they just totally throw that out
the window and do something bizarre like this.

It's one of those things that actually makes sense once you know the
interesting little historical tidbit behind it, but before that it
just seems totally random. In that sense, it's no better than the
original of the name of the Unix command "grep". There was a text
editor where the "g" command would do something globally (i.e. for
every line of text), and one thing you could do is specify a pattern
to check every line for, and the pattern is called a "regular
expression" (after regular languages, which of course *everyone*
knows about if they took a theory of computation class in college,
right?), and then once you have applied a RE to your g, you can do
"p" to print the lines that the RE matched. The help file summarized
this as g/RE/p (because regular expressions are traditionally
surrounded by slashes), so naturally the word "grep" means "search
a file for lines that match a pattern". Except that you would never
in a million years guess that "grep" is the right command to do
what you want if that's what you wanted to do and all you had is
a list of commands. Trash-means-eject isn't quite as convoluted
a story as that, but it's almost equally hard to guess, if not
harder since you would quickly conclude it's best to NOT experiment
by dragging things into the trash, since that destroys things.

Now, if you want to have an intuitive interface for ejecting a disk,
I personally think there should be a little boot that you can drag
onto the disk. When you let go, it kicks the disk out, preferably
with a nice stress-relieving animation.

- Logan

In article <OVB%c.426$FV4.383@fe2.texas.rr.com> lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com writes:

> Now, if you want to have an intuitive interface for ejecting a disk,
> I personally think there should be a little boot that you can drag
> onto the disk. When you let go, it kicks the disk out, preferably
> with a nice stress-relieving animation.

Doesn't this go all the way back to the floppy disk? I seem to
remember having to click on something to eject the floppy (there was
no mechanical button an a Mack floppy drive) but I don't remember
dragging the floppy icon to the trash can.

To me, the Windows concept of a left mouse button that just does it
and right mouse button that brings up a menu makes a whole lot of
sense, but then the Mac only had one mouse button.

Mike Rivers wrote:

> To me, the Windows concept of a left mouse button that just does it
> and right mouse button that brings up a menu makes a whole lot of
> sense, but then the Mac only had one mouse button.

The Right button Mac equivalent is control-click, or frequently just
hold the button for 1/2 sec, which has no windoze equivalent.

My Mac, however, has a Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical, the best thing
Microsoft ever made (incl. the X-Box). I too like right-clicks and the
wheel and its double-click feature.

These days Macs can be easily fitted with two button mice and, depending
on the manufacturer and drivers provided, the right button can be
customized to work much the same way it does in a windows environment.

In Mac OSX if you drag a storage device (hard drive, floppy, etc.) or
network drive to the trash can the trash can icon will change to that of
the standard eject symbol to verify that you are really ejecting or
unmounting that device/drive rather than erasing it.

Mike Rivers wrote:
> Doesn't this go all the way back to the floppy disk? I seem to
> remember having to click on something to eject the floppy (there was
> no mechanical button an a Mack floppy drive) but I don't remember
> dragging the floppy icon to the trash can.

I believe there have always been two ways to do it. You can either
click on the disk icon to select it, and then select Eject from the
drop-down menu (or hit Apple-E), or you can drag to the trash.
So theoretically you could use a Mac for years and years and never
know or care about trash-means-eject. But most people end up
using it just because it's quicker.

(I think you could also do Shift-Apple-1 to eject the first floppy,
but I think this actually forces it to eject, so that's a little
different.)

> To me, the Windows concept of a left mouse button that just does it
> and right mouse button that brings up a menu makes a whole lot of
> sense, but then the Mac only had one mouse button.

I'm not sure, but I think context menus like you're talking about
might not have been invented when the Mac came out. On the other
hand, I saw someone from Apple who made a good point about their
menu system vs. some other menu systems: Apple's menus are all
always right across the very top of the screen, and never within a
window. The genius of this is that you can whiz your mouse up
there and slam it against the top of the display, which means
that you only have to be accurate in one dimension (horizontally).
Whereas, with context menus and menus that appear within an app's
window, you have to be accurate in the vertical dimension as well.

Anyway, Apple clearly did one button to make things simple. I think
most mice that existed at the time the Mac was designed were at least
3 buttons, if not more in some cases. With 3 buttons, it's fairly
easy to get things mixed up, so they wanted to make things simple.
Probably going to just one was an overreaction, but that's what they
did. The biggest disaster in this area, though, is double clicking.
On an icon, double click causes the icon to perform an action (like
opening a folder or an application), but on other things like buttons,
single click means to do the action associated with the thing (press
the button, select the menu option). Maybe it wouldn't be so bad
if it were evenly applied and consistent, but double clicking is
anything but. I have a friend who still double clicks links on web
pages despite having had a computer for several years now...

- Logan

:
: I believe there have always been two ways to do it. You can either
: click on the disk icon to select it, and then select Eject from the
: drop-down menu (or hit Apple-E), or you can drag to the trash.
: So theoretically you could use a Mac for years and years and never
: know or care about trash-means-eject. But most people end up
: using it just because it's quicker.

The problem with using Eject from the menu was that it would leave a ghost
icon of the disk on the desktop, and then the user would accidentally
click on it and then the system would demand that the disk be reinserted.
In a classroom environment this was a problem, because the floppy may have
already left the room with a student from a previous class, and then you
had to cancel out of a bunch of dialogs.

--
agreenbu @ nyx . net andrew michael greenburg

<< Doesn't this go all the way back to the floppy disk? I seem to
remember having to click on something to eject the floppy (there was
no mechanical button an a Mack floppy drive) but I don't remember
dragging the floppy icon to the trash can. >>

Command-E would do it, or the end of a paper clip in the little hole.

Scott Fraser

Greg Taylor wrote:

> These days Macs can be easily fitted with two button mice and, depending

When I started working on a Mac, I got a two-button wheel mouse and
plugged it in. Then, since I use the mouse with my left hand, I
started searching for the control panel thingy that lets me switch
it to left-handed mode, and I search quite a while and never could
find it. I was frustrated and started wondering how Apple, of all
people, could've left out something so amazingly obvious.

Then a thought occurred to me: oh yeah, you don't exactly need to
reverse for the buttons if you just have one button, do you? ;-)

- Logan