FireWire install problem (& long saga)

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

I'm frustrated. I installed a new FireWire card in my PC; and I'm
getting nothing. That's right, nothing. It isn't even detected,
much less loading the correct drivers. Here's the whole sad saga
from the beginning. If you want to skip down to the end, you won't
miss much pertinent info; mostly this is just venting.

Not being financially well endowed, I opted for a low price Sony analog
HandyCam a couple years ago. At that time, digital was well beyond my
means; and video editing wasn't even on my radar screen. Not long
after however, I began to see the advantages and fun of working with
desktop video. Having an analog camcorder, I needed a conversion tool,
and I picked up a Dazzle DVC100. Analog in; digital out. Should have
been great. Wasn't. The problem was, the drivers for the device
seemed to be compatible with every operating system but mine, Windows
98SE.

I tried everything, downloaded the latest drivers, contacted tech
support, everything. No way, so I just abandoned the whole thing for a
while, until my processor fortuitously self destructed. As long as
I'm replacing the motherboard et al (Celeron 2.1), I may as well
upgrade the OS too, I figure, and I bought Windows XP Home for
installation on the rebuilt system. Lo and behold, the Dazzle now
worked; and I managed a few nice projects before it stopped working.
I don't know why. I can't figure out why; and of course, the
DVC100 is no longer manufactured and Dazzle is now Pinnacle and there
is no tech support anymore.

I went through all of the usual steps. Uninstalling the device and
drivers, downloading and installing the latest drivers, etc. Still
nothing. The device appears to be functioning in the Device Manager;
but neither Windows Movie Maker or MovieStar5 seem to be seeing the
video signal correctly (neither composite nor S-video). It was
especially frustrating because it almost works and actually did work at
one time. After more time on this problem than any sane person would
expend, I decided to chuck it all and go digital.

Skip to here for the real question:

So, while waiting for the arrival of my new MiniDV camcorder (still on
a budget), I bought the FireWire card (Adaptec AFW-4300). I put it in
an available PCI slot and booted up the PC, delightfully expecting the
plug & play to do its thing. Nothing different happened; the PC booted
up normally. No "new hardware detected"; no "installing the
drivers for your new hardware", nothing. It was as if the card
wasn't there. Checked the Device Manager looking for the IEEE Bus
Controller; nothing there. Tried "install new hardware" from the
Control Panel. Selected the IEEE 1394 Bus Controller device. Windows
cannot locate drivers for this device. I'm screwed.

For the next hour, I tried a few things that got me no closer to a
resolution; but if I list them all, maybe it will help you deduce where
my problem lies:

1. As recommended in the Adaptec installation guide I went to the
Microsoft site to locate the latest drivers. I couldn't find
anything under "downloads" and precious little in the knowledge
base.

2. I powered down, removed the card, and moved it to a different slot.
I had initially installed the card in a slot occupied by a modem card.
The modem is no longer used (I'm DSL now), so I figured this was as
good a time as any to yank it. Not only was it not used, however, I
had previously disabled it in the Device Manager because it was
conflicting with a video card installation. Apparently by disabling
the modem, it freed up an IRQ (COM1/COM3) and allowed detection of the
video card. (That's another long story and beyond my knowledge, but
one thing at a time. If this is relevant in any way & you want more
details, just ask.) So it occurred to me that this particular PCI slot
might be inoperative because of disabling the modem, and I tried a
different slot for the FireWire card. It didn't make any difference.

3. I tried looking for tech support and/or drivers on the Adaptec
site. No help there. It just tells me that XP should have the drivers
embedded. Thanks a lot. OTOH, it does mention five files that should
be present for XP to install the 1394 drivers; but three of these files
are not present on my PC:
c:\windows\system32\drivers\1394bus.sys
c:\windows\system32\drivers\enum1394.sys
c:\windows\system32\drivers\ohci1394.sys
I do have the XP disk; but I have not yet tried finding the drivers
there (ran out of time last night).

4. In Device Manager, there is an "Unknown Device" listed under
the USB devices. This may or may not be the FireWire card. I yanked
out some of the USB cables (the known offenders - remote hub & card
reader) to see if that device disappeared, but it remained. I have not
yet tried removing all of the USB devices; but I suspect that the
unknown device might be the FireWire card being erroneously detected.

Given the history of problems with device detection and driver
installation with this PC, I probably don't have just "normal"
problems; but there seems to me to be two issues at work here. First,
why doesn't the PC detect the new hardware? And second, where are my
IEEE 1394 drivers?

Thanks for any help,
Joe F.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

junkmail608 wrote ...
> I'm frustrated. I installed a new FireWire card in my PC; and I'm
> getting nothing.

It is possible that you just got a dud and should return it for another.

> 3. I tried looking for tech support and/or drivers on the Adaptec
> site. No help there. It just tells me that XP should have the
> drivers
> embedded. Thanks a lot. OTOH, it does mention five files that should
> be present for XP to install the 1394 drivers; but three of these
> files
> are not present on my PC:
> c:\windows\system32\drivers\1394bus.sys
> c:\windows\system32\drivers\enum1394.sys
> c:\windows\system32\drivers\ohci1394.sys
> I do have the XP disk; but I have not yet tried finding the drivers
> there (ran out of time last night).

Note that they might be compressed along with others in a cab file.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Keep it shorter next time, and you'll help us all out.

I just skimmed some info, but I would recommend manually removing that
unknown USB device from Device Manager (right click > uninstall) and then
reboot... see what happens. I would guess that this unknown USB device is
the Firewire.

--
Brandon Smith
IT Director

<junkmail608@verizon.net> wrote in message
> [...]

| c:\windows\system32\drivers\enum1394.sys
| c:\windows\system32\drivers\ohci1394.sys
| I do have the XP disk; but I have not yet tried finding the drivers
| there (ran out of time last night).
|
| 4. In Device Manager, there is an "Unknown Device" listed under
| the USB devices. This may or may not be the FireWire card. I yanked
| out some of the USB cables (the known offenders - remote hub & card
| reader) to see if that device disappeared, but it remained. I have not
| yet tried removing all of the USB devices; but I suspect that the
| unknown device might be the FireWire card being erroneously detected.
|
| Given the history of problems with device detection and driver
| installation with this PC, I probably don't have just "normal"
| problems; but there seems to me to be two issues at work here. First,
| why doesn't the PC detect the new hardware? And second, where are my

Sounds like the card is bad.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

I never was able to get my Adaptec firewire card to work in Win98SE, despite
all the official claims that WIN98SE supports it. I did all kinds of
hotfixes, wasted time with tech support from both Adaotec and (don't get me
started on this!!!) actually even called Microsoft for support. What a bad
joke.

For me, the fix was to get a newer computer with WinXP Pro, which if course
also has a faster processor than the old one. All of the firewire problems
vanished, and I was using it to capture digital video with my first try.

I hope you have greater success with your current operating system. Good
luck!

"Raymond J. Johnson Jr." <RayJay@nospam.org> wrote in message
> Sounds like the card is bad.

Right you were. I took the PC up to my local tech guys & had 'em check it
out & maybe solve the problem. They tried the card in one of their machines
& it wouldn't detect there either. Back to the store.

Okay, so I'm not buying another of the same thing and I only need one
Firewire port, so I figured I'd upgrade the sound card at the same time. I
picked up a Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS with a Firewire port. Installed it.
Sonofabitch, but this one won't detect either. Way unlikely I've managed
two bad cards in a row. WTF?

Tx,
Joe