Question Firewire PCI card won't fit in PCIexpress16 port

Nov 9, 2022
Hi,

I had intended to transfer my old firewire card to my new computer. Old computer slot says PCI express 3 and new computer says PCI express 16.
I was told PCI slots were backwards compatible but this card definitely will not fit into this slot.

(this forum has no way to insert images from my computer or am I just missing the option?)

Is there anyway to get it to work?

Thanks!

kanewolf

Titan
Hi,

I had intended to transfer my old firewire card to my new computer. Old computer slot says PCI express 3 and new computer says PCI express 16.
I was told PCI slots were backwards compatible but this card definitely will not fit into this slot.

(this forum has no way to insert images from my computer or am I just missing the option?)

Is there anyway to get it to work?

Thanks!
Can you list what the old motherboard model was?
What model of firewire card?

Some old motherboards had both PCI and PCIexpress (PCIe) slots. Firewire is an interface that is uncommon in the PC world, so it is POSSIBLE you have a PCI and not a PCIexpress card.

jasonf2

Distinguished
If it is PCIe what you might be running into is an X1-X4 card only using 1-4 lanes, while looking at an x16 slot on your new board. An X1orX4 will go into a X16 slot. It just won't fill it. On the other hand if the card is an old PCI, which would not surprise me with a firewire adapter, it is not compatible with PCI express. PCI and PCIe are very different busses. If your firewire card is PCI I would recommend just replacing it with a new PCIe card for the cost.