Jun 6, 2020
Hi,
I'm not too experienced with hardware specs and terms, so was wondering if I could get some help. I recently bought a new Acer Aspire TC-885-UA91 desktop for work. I would like to transfer old Mini DV tapes to it. I was wondering if it is possible to add a firewire slot to a new computer like this one? It appears to have three empty bays on the back. And if so which kind can this computer accept. I don't understand terms like PCI etc. Or if the new motherboards are equipped for this. I've looked online for a couple of hours for an answer to no avail.
Thank you,
JD

Solution
you got the right idea. an add-on card will plug into a slot on the motherboard and stick out the back. which slot depends on the card.

for instance

https://www.newegg.com/axgear-model-ieee-pci-e-pci-to-1394-card/p/17Z-00B4-00004

this one uses a pcie 1.0 slot which is rather small and easy to identify. others can use different slots such as pci, or other older standards. basically look at the part on the bottom of the card. it only fits into one type of slot which will line up right if its the right one. otherwise it's not the right slot for the card. pretty hard to mess up unless you try to force things into place

the card i linked would work fine in a single 1.0 slot which your system will have and it works with win 10 or lower.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you got the right idea. an add-on card will plug into a slot on the motherboard and stick out the back. which slot depends on the card.

for instance

https://www.newegg.com/axgear-model-ieee-pci-e-pci-to-1394-card/p/17Z-00B4-00004

this one uses a pcie 1.0 slot which is rather small and easy to identify. others can use different slots such as pci, or other older standards. basically look at the part on the bottom of the card. it only fits into one type of slot which will line up right if its the right one. otherwise it's not the right slot for the card. pretty hard to mess up unless you try to force things into place

the card i linked would work fine in a single 1.0 slot which your system will have and it works with win 10 or lower.

Solution
Jun 6, 2020
Thank you Math Geek. So from the one you suggested in the link, it looks like it may fit my computer. This is what the inside looks like and the bottom left area is where the empty slots are.
03QV8eVojQFWIa9ACjuLqcH-17.v_1583247709.jpg

Would the motherboard recognize FireWire technology? This computer is 4 months old. Thank you once again.
JD

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the small white slot on the bottom of the motherboard is your 1.0 slot. that's where the card will fit.

and yes it will be recognized and usable once drivers are installed. they'll be picked up by windows update or from the driver disk that will come with it most likely.