First AMD Carrizo Notebooks Coming From Multiple OEMs, With Asterisks

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyDocuments

Reputable
Jun 21, 2014
One can only hope Intel needs a competitor in order not to be slapped with a monopolies investigation... but it doesn't seem to have stopped them thus far.
I hope they don't start buying market share with subsidies (or similar pricing agreements & kickbacks, or whatever) or buying up vital component supplies all over again (allegedly!), as it sure would be good to have more competition in the market.

Intel paid off the OEMs to not get any good AMD products to the market - as always...

Sorry, I had to thumb you down. Public perception has unchanged. The masses still consider an AMD system as a low price budget system. I doubt high priced AMD systems sell well, which is what actually determines what sort of products are released, not conspiracy theories.

The ball is in AMD's court to overcome that.

I'd love to have one of their brand new APUs in a mobile form factor, but like many, I don't want to pay a lot for it.

Willyfisch

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015

Well, I think you're wrong. There are hundreds or even thousands of premium Intel laptop configurations available.
And how many are there from AMD? Pretty much 0.
Now let's assume 95% of all laptop-buyers hate AMD and only want to buy Intel laptops. So even if only 5% of the people would buy a good AMD laptop, it would be one of the best selling laptops out there. And trust me, even if it's the minority, still more than 5% of the people prefer AMD.

Just google and you will find forums with people looking for premium-ish AMD laptops - and not finding any.

In short: it would sell, even if it were slightly inferior to Intel counterparts (which it isn't), just because of many people preferring AMD.

Only the bad laptops make it to the market, because Intel makes sure to block the others off. Same for tablets, which AMD gave up by now.

G

No SSD on a laptop in 2015, not even on one model? Come on! I'm rough with my laptop, can't be worried about mechanical failure.

SirTrollsALot

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
I would consider these laptops if they are under $700 Max. Unless the bench marks are on par or better than the specs on the second line...

If you look hard enough you can find and i7 with a Mid graphics like Nvidia 860M gtx + or such for about $1k.

Though I like to see benchmarks of these chips vs an i5/i7 with both intel graphics and/or discrete before I lay the money down.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
No SSD on a laptop in 2015, not even on one model? Come on! I'm rough with my laptop, can't be worried about mechanical failure.

I'm right with you on that. I know they're trying to hit a certain price point window, but geez, an SSD doesn't add THAT much to the cost...

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Intel paid off the OEMs to not get any good AMD products to the market - as always...

Sorry, I had to thumb you down. Public perception has unchanged. The masses still consider an AMD system as a low price budget system. I doubt high priced AMD systems sell well, which is what actually determines what sort of products are released, not conspiracy theories.

I'd love to have one of their brand new APUs in a mobile form factor, but like many, I don't want to pay a lot for it.

I don't know about "the masses", but I WANT to buy an AMD notebook, but couldn't find a single one with IPS screen.

And I couldn't care less about overpriced i7, when most power consuming thing I run on notebooks is games and AMD's APUs trounced Intel's for quite a while.

ecstubblebine

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015
I find this situation almost inconceivable. That OEMs would make these computers yet deem the North American market, (what?), too sophisticated, not big enough(?)for an FX-8800P laptop. A laptop that can play GTA V @ 1080p on normal settings, chomp through 4K video, has H.S.A. (which Java9, et. al. will leverage), etc., etc.. I'm sure AMD would love to sell their chips in the U.$., but unfortunately only Germany, Asia, India, Europe, (actually everywhere else) but North America, will get them. I've asked my mother, who is currently in Berlin, to bring one back for me when she returns at the end of August. The 17" Acer Aspire checks most of the right boxes, (http://www.saturn.de/mcs/product/_ACER-Aspire-E-17,48352,241166,2044268.html). I've really liked my Gateway NV55S15 (A6-3400M) which is owned by Acer. My question is, who stands to profit or benefit from this situation, certainly not AMD, certainly not the OEMs, (why build them in the first place if not to sell them in as many different markets as possible). It appears that there will be a number of OEMs coming out with a number of different AMD-based laptops this year, just, I guess, don't expect to be able to buy one in the U.$.. Perhaps a few token, anemic Carrizo-L versions will be made available in America, just not one you'd want to buy. This is deplorable. Out of idle curiosity, how many would buy a well-specced one if made available - based on what we know about the FX-8800P, I would, Heck, I am. Too bad it will have a German keyboard and I'll need a voltage adapter. It was either that or crowd-source an outfit to make them and sell them at cost - everybody get together, pool their $600 - $700, agree to specs and off you go. If my mother wasn't in Berlin right now, and bringing a laptop back for me (I'm paying, of course) I'd probably start doing it myself. If someone does decide to make them I'm in for one computer - just tell me where to send my $600 or $700.00 check.

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
No SSDs, only displays mentioned are awful 900p, and all the frames are probably ultra cheap plastic and aluminum foil.

At that, anyone commenting on Intels... monopoly? Is missing the market as a whole. Of course Intel has a monopoly on x86 computers, its their ISA. IP laws let them do whatever they want with it. If you go after them for monopolistic practices for that... you are going after symptoms.

Its not like they control the computer industry at all. You just would not buy an ARM, MIPS, or POWER notebook because you couldn't run proprietary x86 binaries on it (at least not well). That doesn't mean Intel has a monopoly.

hyper_cool

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It's really sad how Intel really owns the OEMs by bribing them indirectly and giving them so much incentives. Easy prove is go to Best Buy and out of 20 laptops they have you will only see 3 Laptops that has AMD CPU and they all look really garbage laptop with cheap quality. AMD can't compete with Intel even if AMD can come up with very competitive CPU. It's really sad....... I'm glad I still have my ASUS N56D rocking on A10 APU. Cost me 450CAD and works great and on par with at least i5 with many ways. AMD please stay afloat, we don't want intel to keep charging too much on their CPUs...... please.

alextheblue

Distinguished

Most of the big manufacturers have configurable models. There's a strong possibility at least one of these models will have an SSD option. I personally would NOT take their SSD option. Why? I could upgrade it myself for cheaper, and choose a better model of SSD while I'm at it. Plus then I can wipe the factory drive and slap it in a portable external housing for backup or mass storage, etc.

whassup

Reputable
May 21, 2015

Trolling here won't work. Intel bribing OEM many times happened, now it seems like it repeats again and everyone know's Intel's coward, malicious business practices.

dusty13

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
no wonder no one is interested in amd laptops ... way to go to ruin any chances of decent performance (for that pricerange) and experience with shitty displays and only hdd in all the models listed.

come on a laptop for light to medium gaming with 5400rpm hdd? no one in his or her right mind will give those a second glance ...

dusty13

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
no wonder no one is interested in amd laptops ... way to go to ruin any chances of decent performance (for that pricerange) and experience with shitty displays and only hdd in all the models listed.

come on a laptop for light to medium gaming with 5400rpm hdd? no one in his or her right mind will give those a second glance ...

sjc1017

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
I wonder if MSI will refresh their 17.3" gaming laptop that had the 7970/8970m card in it with the mobile Kavari in it. I would like to buy AMD but every time I find something intel-based for around the same money. All these laptops have those awful unipads which I hate, I need separate, distinct, actual trackpad buttons so I can put my fingers in repose while I think and not have the placement of my fingers register as an activation or 'click'. Surely they can at least get these chips in a machine with a 1080p display, an ssd drive and an 860m level gpu. Give some value and quality to the people who might buy their machines as opposed to those who just go to their local store and buy whatever they are sold by a salesperson.

Puiucs

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
The more I think about it, why not just use a modified version of the PS4 or XBOX1 chip? Or is this one of those chips?
the Jaguar chips are already old. they did use them a while ago.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Like others said, this is disgusting. Both of my laptops are AMD and I didn't get dissatisfied ever. Go to hell Intel, if you are responsible for this no show of AMD based computers in the market (which I think you are).

jacobian

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014

In order to start changing these perceptions, AMD needs to bring APUs/CPUs to the market that can hang next to Intel's best. If you want AMD chips at least in mid-range notebooks, AMD needs at least to match the Core i5 type of performance and battery life. However, in reality, setting iGPU functions aside, AMD's best mobile APUs perform somewhere in the neighborhood of Intel's Core i3, and if you look at the Core i3, it is also mostly sold in very low-end hardware. Nobody outside of geeks and AMD fans is looking for a higher end AMD notebook. Of course, the game is changed when people want to get into low-cost mobile gaming, and that's the only interesting thing that APUs bring to the table. Unfortunately, the market for that is tiny. The majority of people are gaming on consoles. The enthusiasts know that building a desktop gives this best bang for buck. Moreover, a mid-range Nvidia dGPU can be added to a notebook system through a system configurator on many PC manufacturer's web site for about $50, decisively leapfrogging the AMD APUs in performance. The idea of buying an AMD notebook with a higher end APU plus a dGPU in order to use dual-graphics seems attractive, though again I think this market is tiny for this.

Still, if gaming is AMDs strength, AMD should really get a couple of OEMs to start selling a couple of AMD "showcase" multimedia notebook models, and entry level model with APU and a higher end one with a great screen, dGPU, SSD, etc. For some reason AMD hasn't been trying to do this. Despite all the hype surrounding the previous generation Kaveri chips, it took more than a year since their "paper release" to see any Kaveri notebooks. The tiny group of AMD fans couldn't buy them, even if they wanted for a very long time. Obviously, AMD wasn't even ready to ship those chips at the time of announcing them. Looks like things are different with Carrizo.

jacobian

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014

You should be able to add SSD and a better display to many models listed here. I know that you can do it right now on HP's web site from the Envy 15 laptops that are available with Kaveri FX parts.

The more I think about it, why not just use a modified version of the PS4 or XBOX1 chip? Or is this one of those chips?

Carrizo-L is the next-gen 'Cat Core' (I believe they call it "Puma+") -- presumably with Excavator-like dense libraries,

... You should be able to add SSD and a better display to many models listed here. I know that you can do it right now on HP's web site from the Envy 15 laptops that are available with Kaveri FX parts.

Presumably, HP will publish a service manual with specific instructions about laptop 5400rpm HDD R&R.

However, they can be rather 'stinky' about the drive location in the chassis on some models, sometimes turning it into a near-complete tear-down.

Dell & Lenovo HDD bays (and some HP models) are LOL-simple to access.

Status
Not open for further replies.