First AMD Carrizo Notebooks Coming From Multiple OEMs, With Asterisks

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Well, I think you're wrong. There are hundreds or even thousands of premium Intel laptop configurations available.
And how many are there from AMD? Pretty much 0.
Now let's assume 95% of all laptop-buyers hate AMD and only want to buy Intel laptops. So even if only 5% of the people would buy a good AMD laptop, it would be one of the best selling laptops out there. And trust me, even if it's the minority, still more than 5% of the people prefer AMD.

Just google and you will find forums with people looking for premium-ish AMD laptops - and not finding any.

In short: it would sell, even if it were slightly inferior to Intel counterparts (which it isn't), just because of many people preferring AMD.

Only the bad laptops make it to the market, because Intel makes sure to block the others off. Same for tablets, which AMD gave up by now.
Maybe AMD should brand their own laptop and make it. Would be a niche system like a mac.

xtudiux

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
Hmmm...I think its on the contract signed by AMD when they renewed their license last decade with Intel. Make sure that their CPU is lower than the Intel parts. that was the beginning for their losing their edge...I'll buy an AMD laptop again if its good and supported by linux.

ecstubblebine

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015
The more I think about it, why not just use a modified version of the PS4 or XBOX1 chip? Or is this one of those chips?

Technically, Carrizo is a upgraded version of the XB1/PS4 chip. Which are VERY weak by PC standards.

As I understand it, both the XBOne and PS4 use six of the smaller "cat" cores or, now, the current iteration, Carrizo-L. What helps makes them potent is that they leverage H.S.A.

Reepca

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Screw you too, Intel (or any other company trying to smother competitors through uncompetitive practices). I decided to wait for Kaveri to get an APU notebook system, but have been unable to find a Kaveri fx-7600P based laptop ever since they launched last June. Now the FX-8800P isn't going to be available in the USA (at best we'll see some dumb $1400 system pairing it with a high-end dGPU). This is maddening. AMD needs to consider producing their own laptops, because *for whatever reason* OEMs aren't trying to make any money with AMD systems.

ecstubblebine

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015
Screw you too, Intel (or any other company trying to smother competitors through uncompetitive practices). I decided to wait for Kaveri to get an APU notebook system, but have been unable to find a Kaveri fx-7600P based laptop ever since they launched last June. Now the FX-8800P isn't going to be available in the USA (at best we'll see some dumb $1400 system pairing it with a high-end dGPU). This is maddening. AMD needs to consider producing their own laptops, because *for whatever reason* OEMs aren't trying to make any money with AMD systems.

ecstubblebine

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015
I've had the exact experience. I too waited to buy an FX-7600P laptop; to no avail, and now this shit?! Now I wait on an FX-8800P laptop! This is insanity. Why is no one investigating this??!

MyDocuments

Reputable
Jun 21, 2014
It has been known in the past for certain companies to buy-up manufacturing capacity of certain other laptop-items for up to a whole year for example laptop touch screens and so on, and hence only allow laptop manufacturers access to said items on condition that their products are used in conjuction with those items... allegedly.

One has to wonder how this can not be perceived as controlling markets and monopolistic in the same manner as say offering monetary kick-backs on products or affecting the retail supply chain through special-deals... the mind boggles!

true_candle

Reputable
May 21, 2015
For "whatever" reason Carrizo won't launch in US, but everywhere else for all the other countrie's customers to benefit from great AMD products, but corporate America want's you to buy Intel and nVidia. Good luck to all.

Bluevaping

Reputable
Mar 15, 2015
Earlier in 2015 Intel releases a Mobile CPU with 2011 intel ultrabook performance in Sudo SOC for $600 and up laptops. Some customers don't need all the benefits of i5 that why there Core M. OEMs fall over throwing premium hardware solutions at it. AMD releases a real SOC CPU and OEM's throw something basic hardware together with no upgrade option. It's a margins game were customers lose.

sarasele

Reputable
Aug 3, 2015
Any one comes to support of Intel, check the news how much Intel has paid fine in EU for lobbying with OEM's

G

It sucks that we get no choice between the two for laptops here in the US. It's too bad OEM's don't give us more of the AMD laptops with decent specs such as a nice screen and a decent battery. And where the hell are the FX chips?? I'm one that is basically not interested in owning a laptop at this point because I want one that's affordable with good graphics horsepower, and I can't have that combo with an Intel laptop. Asus lost a few points by me on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.