First attempt at building PCs, does everything look okay?

whackybeanz

Prominent
Nov 13, 2017
Hello everyone! My current PC is 7-years old and close to death (many sudden freezes and BSODs with warning messages leaning towards MOBO issues, CPU giving off an endless beep sound on reboot after crashing, etc.), so it's a perfect time for me to learn to build one as well. After a few days of research, I came up with a list of components for a build.

Approximate Purchase Date: Ideally before December

Budget: Within USD1500 inclusive of shipping if possible

Purpose: Largely for gaming purposes, may occasionally stream the games I play from time to time. Games range from 2D sidescrollers like Maplestory to recent-ish games like Skyrim, Subnautica and PUBG. Other times, I'd be surfing the web, YouTube, probably nothing too graphic intensive I can foresee.

Location: I'm okay with shipping via Amazon or any other reliable sources if needed. Buying within Singapore is fine too, if I can find them.

===============

The Build
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 1200 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($109.77 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - X370 KILLER SLI/ac ATX AM4 Motherboard ($123.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($179.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Crucial - MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($92.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card ($259.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($75.00 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($88.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $995.38
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-13 08:50 EST-0500

===============

Other Details
  • ■I hadn't considered getting a monitor as I have one currently, but I'm not sure if they'll be compatible. I'm okay with getting a new monitor if it's necessary. Ideally, it'd be 1920 x 1080 and above.

■Should I consider the Ryzen 5 1600 instead of Ryzen 3 1200 or is that overkill for my needs?

■Thanks in advance for any help, suggestions or comments! I really appreciate them all. :)

whackybeanz

Prominent
Nov 13, 2017
Get the 1600 AND THE REST LOOKS GREAT , solid choices.

I'd change the motherboard to a B350 and use the savings to get the 1600. For a monitor I'd probably go 1080P/60+ or 1440P/60.

Thank you both! Guess I'll be going for the 1600 then. I just went to check my monitor (Acer S231HL, my 7 year old monitor) and it was 1920 x 1080 resolution with 60Hz screen refresh rate, so I suppose I don't need to change the monitor in this case, right?

@WildCard999 may I ask why you picked B350 over the X370?

WildCard999

Titan
I would go with the B350 as it has the features I would want/need in a board such as overclocking. The X370 may have extra stuff such as SLI support but some of those extra features may not be needed, especially since the GTX 1060 doesn't even support SLI.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Performance on the x370 is pretty much identical to the b350, the largest difference being sli/crossfire ability, and a few small extras like a port or 2. The price difference between the boards isn't worth the extras unless you plan on going all out, which your build doesn't warrant. A 1600 and B350 will serve better in the long run than the weaker cpu and more expensive mobo.

whackybeanz

Prominent
Nov 13, 2017
I would go with the B350 as it has the features I would want/need in a board such as overclocking. The X370 may have extra stuff such as SLI support but some of those extra features may not be needed, especially since the GTX 1060 doesn't even support SLI.

Performance on the x370 is pretty much identical to the b350, the largest difference being sli/crossfire ability, and a few small extras like a port or 2. The price difference between the boards isn't worth the extras unless you plan on going all out, which your build doesn't warrant. A 1600 and B350 will serve better in the long run than the weaker cpu and more expensive mobo.

I better understand the rationale behind the swap now. After looking around at comparisons against the different B350s, I'll probably be settling on the Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming 3 for the MOBO. Hope that's a sensible choice!

I'm so excited to build this PC in the upcoming weeks. Thank you all so much for your help! :D