First Benchmarks: Acer Predator 17X Gaming Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

guvnaguy90

Commendable
Apr 22, 2016
Do laptops with desktop GPUs have Optimus enabled? Would be interested to see battery life with light usage on the iGPU.

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Ouch. When a laptop, no matter the expense, outperforms a desktop, it's time to upgrade. I get a 9700 in Firestrike and 2400 in Valley. I know I'm good for VR, but I don't want some mobile parts humiliating the space I dedicated in my 800 sq ft Apartment. Either my computer starts paying rent, or it's getting replaced.

cfortney

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016
Ouch. When a laptop, no matter the expense, outperforms a desktop, it's time to upgrade. I get a 9700 in Firestrike and 2400 in Valley. I know I'm good for VR, but I don't want some mobile parts humiliating the space I dedicated in my 800 sq ft Apartment. Either my computer starts paying rent, or it's getting replaced.

This generation of mobile CPUs and GPUs has really shortened the gap. I recently sold my desktop after a big move and switched to a skylake gaming laptop. My i7-6700HQ is in the range of a desktop i5-6500, and the 960M is around a GTX 950 desktop. For $740, I'd say it was a pretty good bargain.

DuncDog

Honorable
Jan 15, 2015
Do laptops with desktop GPUs have Optimus enabled? Would be interested to see battery life with light usage on the iGPU.

Unfortunately, the answer is no. Nvidia's G-Sync and Optimus technologies are incompatible at this point in time. My evidence is my ASUS ROG G751JY G-SYNC Edition gaming laptop (980m and G-Sync). Other G-Sync Laptops are in a similar situation as well, as are any laptops that feature SLI, like the Aorus and MSI Titan laptops.

My experience with the latter, was the Lenovo Y510p w/ 750m in SLI. The non-SLI variant (DVD drive in the Ultrabay, or my SLI sku with the 2nd GPU removed) could utilize the Intel iGPU and operate in Optimus, but once I put the 2nd GPU back in, the Intel GPU, and Optimus, vanished completely (even if SLI was disabled)

DuncDog

Honorable
Jan 15, 2015

Unfortunately, the answer is no. Nvidia's G-Sync and Optimus technologies are incompatible at this point in time. My evidence is my ASUS ROG G751JY G-SYNC Edition gaming laptop (980m and G-Sync). Other G-Sync Laptops are in a similar situation as well, as are any laptops that feature SLI, like the Aorus and MSI Titan laptops.

My experience with the latter, was the Lenovo Y510p w/ 750m in SLI. The non-SLI variant (DVD drive in the Ultrabay, or my SLI sku with the 2nd GPU removed) could utilize the Intel iGPU and operate in Optimus, but once I put the 2nd GPU back in, the Intel GPU, and Optimus, vanished completely (even if SLI was disabled)

realnoize

Honorable
Jan 5, 2015
This generation of mobile CPUs and GPUs has really shortened the gap. I recently sold my desktop after a big move and switched to a skylake gaming laptop. My i7-6700HQ is in the range of a desktop i5-6500, and the 960M is around a GTX 950 desktop. For $740, I'd say it was a pretty good bargain.

I did a similar move. I went from having a desktop as my main PC, to buying a gaming laptop with a core i7-5700HQ and a GTX970M, which is somewhat in the same ballpark as an overclocked GTX960. More or less.

Granted, for the same money, I could've bought a more powerful desktop, but then, being able to work and play anywhere in the house, and easily bring my PC elsewhere to game with friends, are things that are worth the price of admission to me nowadays.

ammaross

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011

I did a similar move. I went from having a desktop as my main PC, to buying a gaming laptop with a core i7-5700HQ and a GTX970M, which is somewhat in the same ballpark as an overclocked GTX960. More or less.

Granted, for the same money, I could've bought a more powerful desktop, but then, being able to work and play anywhere in the house, and easily bring my PC elsewhere to game with friends, are things that are worth the price of admission to me nowadays.

The real fun will be to see what perf/watt benefits a laptop with a Pascal (or Polaris) GPU will bring. Maybe they'll eek out to 2.5 or even 3hrs on battery.

guvnaguy90

Commendable
Apr 22, 2016
Do laptops with desktop GPUs have Optimus enabled? 2 hours certainly isn't bad for gaming. I would like to see how the battery fairs for light use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS