Question First boot of AMD Ryzen 7 3700x on Asus ROG Strix B450-F

Dec 31, 2020
Hello,

I am currently having troubles with my new build. I have an idea what the issue may be, but before buying additional stuff, I wanted to double-check this with someone more expert first.

MoBo: Asus ROG Strix B450-F
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Memory: KLEVV BOLT X 2x16GB DDR4-3200 MHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Super

When the tower is powered on, a yellow LED turns on and off, so I excluded that the problem is in the memory. Shortly after, a red LED turns and stays on, which should indicate there is a problem with the CPU. The system doesn't seem to boot, but all the fans are on. This happens with or without connecting the GPU. Both the board and the GPU HDMIs give a black screen.

Reading here and here, it seems that the Asus B450-F BIOS needs to be up-to-date in order to support the Ryzen 3700X. While this was the case a year ago, some people say that all boards must have been updated by now. A sticker on my board's box says it's 'AMD Ryzen 3000 ready'.

The only way to solve this is to buy an old AMD processor just to flash the BIOS. I would like to know whether I am missing something before ordering one. Any help would be appreciated.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your PSU? If the unit is not recycled from a past system, then age is not necessary. Which slots are the sticks of ram occupying on your motherboard? If you can't get the system to boot with one stick of ram(on slot A2) then you will need to use Asus's Crash Free BIOS option as stated in your motherboard manual, page 3-26, section 3.11.3.

Dec 31, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your PSU? If the unit is not recycled from a past system, then age is not necessary.

Thank you. The PSU is a new GameMax GP-650 80 Plus Bronze 650W.

Which slots are the sticks of ram occupying on your motherboard? If you can't get the system to boot with one stick of ram(on slot A2) then you will need to use Asus's Crash Free BIOS option as stated in your motherboard manual, page 3-26, section 3.11.3.

The RAM is in the A2 slot at the moment, and it seems it's being recognised properly. As I understand, the Crash Free BIOS option is for when the BIOS gets corrupted. I wonder whether this can be done even if the processor isn't working.

Thanks – I'll try this as a last resort.

Dec 31, 2020
If you can't get the system to boot with one stick of ram(on slot A2) then you will need to use Asus's Crash Free BIOS option as stated in your motherboard manual, page 3-26, section 3.11.3.

Unfortunately, this didn't work, probably because the processor is out of service until the BIOS is updated. There are no cheap compatible AMD processors on Amazon.co.uk right now. With the country now on lockdown, the quickest way is to obtain a boot kit, and it will take ages. :(